View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This is the reason I gave up on tags and I use custom columns instead. You import one epub and it adds like 10 nonsense tags. I tried to fight this, but it was hopeless. Sadly, this makes tags completely useless. What good would tags do, when each e-book that is tagged in metadata brings their own, unique, incompatible set of tags. What good would tags do, when you have more unique tags than books?
I'll tell you what good "tags do, when you have more unique tags than books" - it gives you data about the book that is searchable. I like that data.

Quote:
So, my advice, until someone gives us an option to ignore tags during import.
You do have an option to ignore tags during import - choose to get your metadata from file name only, not internally. You can also turn off tags during metadata fetch, if they bother you there.

I'm not trying to disagree with your preferred way of structuring your database, but if you're going to use a custom tag-like field, IMHO, that's an even better reason to keep the regular tags imported with the book and during metadata fetch. We can't search the contents of books, so searching the tags is the next best thing, for me. Plus, I just like browsing through the tags. I find lots of interesting tags that send me to interesting books.

Each to their own, but I really hate throwing away searchable data about my books.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote