Originally Posted by cybmole
then today I find I have 22 tags. looking more closely it's because I downloaded & imported one ! new book. I guess the book came with tags already in its metadata ?
This is the reason I gave up on tags and I use custom columns instead. You import one epub and it adds like 10 nonsense tags. I tried to fight this, but it was hopeless. Sadly, this makes tags completely useless. What good would tags do, when each e-book that is tagged in metadata brings their own, unique, incompatible set of tags. What good would tags do, when you have more unique tags than books?
So, my advice, until someone gives us an option to ignore tags during import.
- download the latest and greatest Calibre. You might want to wait a few days, because a new, significant version is being finished
- make custom columns for your categories
- you can even make Tag-like custom column, named myTags
- hide tag column in the main window
- hide tags in categories windows (right click)
- from time to time, (like once a month, or after you add too many books at once) use bulk edit of metadata to delete all tags. You can also delete all tags in other places, like from inside categories
- if you already have meaningful set of tags, make a custom column with Tag-like data structure and use advanced search and replace command to copy the tags to your custom column.