View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
My point is, you generally don't need to carry paper around with you. You can usually find some sort of paper when you need something to write on. I.e., the notion of the napkin in the diner. In contrast, a device, you either have it with you, or you don't; if you don't have it, you can't use it.
As someone who A) has never used a cocktail napkin to write on, and B) always has a PDA or smartphone with me... I can't relate.

Quote:
Who works just at work anymore? As a system administrator, I can work anywhere there is a wireless connection to the internet. A couple of years ago at Christmas, I was using my phone to connect to work. When I worked more as a programmer, I use to figure out bugs in programs in also sorts of strange places.

Get two or three engineers or scientists together (like at a diner) and don't be surprised if they start talking shop and start using napkins to jot down notes are do thumbnail calculations.
Every sysadmin and IT guy I know carries their smartphones and blackberries with them everywhere, and uses them incessantly to communicate, take notes and share info with others. Never seen one whip out a pen and paper and start writing down stuff.

Quote:
Shoot, as a SF writer, I would expect you would do it from time to time as well when you get an idea for a story and want to see if it is practical or not (Though, I don't know if you write hard SF or softer stuff).
Word and Notepad, both available on my smartphone and my laptop. Everything else is in my head.

Quote:
Besides, as others have pointed out many electronic devices are hardly environmentally friendly either. We know that a fair number of electronic devices end up in land fills... and I bet one battery is worse for the environment sitting in a land fill than several hundred pounds of paper.
Yes, and as I indicated, we can do much better in that regard. Point is, when used properly a single device can replace reams of paper, making for a smaller environmental footprint than a comparable amount of paper (and most people have no clue how large that paper's footprint really is).

Quote:
Do you still work in business Steve or are you a full time author these days?
I still have a "day job," as a web designer. I keep copious amounts of info on my PC and in my smartphone, and the only thing I ever print out is my occasional vacation recording sheet, because my HR department demands it. It is a form on the office network, and for the record, doesn't need to be printed at all... they just like it that way, in a conservative sense.

What do they do with it? They record its information into a desktop PC, and throw the paper away.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote