View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad Air 2, Fire HD6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Many thanks for your answers and advice.

Unfortunately, the DX is not distributed in the UK, and is too pricey for me.
Regarding the choice between a K3 and the Sony, it is a dilemma. I will not read only PDFs, so it is not crucial. Furthermore the network capability of the Kindle makes it very interesting, although I will not buy DRM books by principle (but the wireles has other useful usage than buying through Amazon).

How the reflow makes PDF reading so much better? I looked at the pictures side by side of the two devices, and it was not clear to me the PDF on the Kindle was not readable. Are there other reasons, such as the zooming and page navigation handling? I mean is it easier to change columns in the Sony that is not practical with the K3?

Thanks.
Regarding reflow, you can get the flavor of this using Adobe Reader to look at a given PDF. It has a Reflow mode. From the little I have played with it, it is not something you can count on to improve small screen reading of PDFs. Sometimes it works okay (with simple text layout), but some PDFs I tried would not reflow at all, and others turned to mush.

So while it is probably a good option to have (and hopefully Amazon will add this feature at some point), its effectiveness will depend on the PDFs you attempt to use it on.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote