View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!capidamonte , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-350
Aside from zipping for ePub, fb2 is no less complex a format than XHTML. I'd rather see decent (unzipped) XHTML and CSS than FB2. And text as a promoted format is insane. What is this, 1992? Am I hand-typing my books into edlin?

A different, more sophisticated market segment? We're the ones that know better. A ten-year old eBookMan can do better than this. And it has back-lighting. And was made by Ectaco.

Weaselly, marketer-drivel, pseudo-truthiness.

I really, really hate being patronized. The fact that they obviously took some care with the hardware design does not mean we (or at least I) should pretend to fall for this "it's a feature, not a bug" crap -- they took firmware shortcuts, either for monetary or internal political reasons.

Being excellent is not just doing one part right and pointing at that while dancing and hand-waving.

At least they're making noises about firmware updates. I want desperately to buy one of these for the ergonomics, but there is no chance that will happen until they smarten the f* up.

Quote:
When i asked one of our managers why the format support was just these he said in so many words "we are marketing this towards a different crowd, people that are more experienced with eBooks and eReaders like those on the mobileread forum"
My achin' a--. Ask a manager? That's like asking a used-car salesman why there's oil under the car. "We put that there to see if there was a water leak. You know the science, oil and water don't mix, so it floats right the top."

It's half suck-up and half rationalization and all BS.

Last edited by capidamonte; 09-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote