View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
it's a strange definition of "polite" that lets one person accuse amazon of engaging in "disinformation", but calls _me_ out for making the entirely straightforward observation amazon has never said a word about "the kindle".
It's not what you said, bowerbird, so much as it is the tone you've adopted.

If you want to point out, accurately, that Amazon has let slip very little on the Kindle. You're welcome to. If you want to point out that we're tossing around speculation and rumor, feel free. If you want to suggest that folks be more considered as to what they toss around, and present a case as to why the tossing is detrimental, more power to you!

Just be respectful about it, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
look, if there's zero commitment to _truth_ on these boards, then fine....
Hardly. But there is the little detail of trying to figure out what that truth actually is.

We do have a bit to go on with the Kindle, in addition to the "Kindle Edition" spotted on Amazon which JSWolf mentioned, we also have the documentation that Amazon submitted to the FCC.

I don't think it's all that great a leap to conclude that they're working on something along the lines of what the FCC dox describe, and still working on it as suggested by the brief appearance of "Kindle Edition" books on Amazon.

Let me also point out that for the most part, folks around here are pretty careful about stating when they're speculating, and about pointing out things as rumors when they are. If other sites choose to ignore those qualifiers and treat as fact what has been expressly presented as rumor or speculation ... I'm at a loss as to how we can stop them.

If we didn't discuss rumors, we wouldn't have much to talk about, now would we?

We're not a newspaper. We do deliver news when we have it, but the if you just want a bland reporting of only verified facts, then you'll have to look elsewhere for that, someplace that is aimed at being a news outlet, or just camp on Amazon's press release page.

If you're getting a belly full of the Kindle business (can't say as I blame you), then let it be for a while. There are a number of topics/threads I habitually avoid because I'm tired of the discussions that seem to just go round and round without getting anywhere new. Nothing wrong with ignoring it if you'd prefer.

But calling folks liars and demanding/ordering everyone to shut up about it isn't likely to work, and it really is a bit on the rude side.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote