View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmill View Post
I know Amazon has a 2 year extended warranty at $49.99, which doesn't really appeal to me.
Definitely not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmill View Post
I've recently heard of SquareTrade extended warranty service. They have a very reasonable 2 year extended warranty rate.
Is anyone familiar with this extended warranty service and if so, their experiences with them.
I don't buy extended warranties, particularly for electronics. Consumer Reports and many money advisers recommend not buying extended warranties. Most electronics you buy them, you put them where they're going to be used, and that's that. Most of them will never leave the house and will rarely get moved. If it's going to fail because of a bad part it will usually fail sooner than later.

However, a Kindle is not like a usual electronic device. It's relatively fragile with a glass screen and it's a portable device. For my use, it's going to be out and about with me; it will travel with me on various kinds of transportation, to various cities, in various hotel rooms. I decided that for this product and the way I was going to use it was an exception.

The extended warranty that SquareTrade offers also includes a one-time accidental damage coverage that will replace your Kindle if it accidentally gets dropped, something spills on it, the dog eats it, etc. Using various coupons that are usually available you can get up to 35% off. For all of these reasons I purchased a 2-year SquareTrade warranty for both my Kindle 3 and my wife's Kindle 3 for less than $25 each. I also figured that the Kindle 4 will be released within the next 24 months and I will probably upgrade so no need for a 3-year warranty. I also purchased my Kindle with my Amex card but Amex doesn't cover you for accidental damage.

If you're only going to read at home and you're careful, you probably don't need one. But if you're taking it outside your house frequently, that greatly increases the chance of damaging it and you might wasn't to consider it.

Last edited by TomF; 09-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote