Originally Posted by recluse
Have you ever wondered why people find it necessary to lock a coffin?
1. So the body does not fall out while being transported or lowered into the grave.
2. To prevent grave robbing. You'd be surprised how many people are buried with jewelry, a gold tooth, or some other valuable on their possession.
3. To avoid necrophiliac rape.
4. The relatives of the deceased saw a horror movie, and could not bear the thought of having their loved one robbed of his/her body parts.
5. Personally, I want an anti-tamper seal placed on my coffin, just so no one knows if Fat Abe is/was fat or not.
E.M. Forster on Joseph Conrad: "... (he) is misty in the middle as well as at the edges, that the secret casket of his genius contains a vapour rather than a jewel."