View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #156
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OK, I admit that I can't really see how Ectaco sees this as a viable move with no DRM
support and only the two lessor used (outside Russia) formats.

But you all seem to have missed where I mentioned "would be willing to support".
The controls appear simple enough and straight forward. So the operation of the device
should pose no real problem for the young or Techno-Challenged.

If I still had little kids, I wouldn't be letting them find and buy anything on the Internet,
much less literature. I would supply them with the SD card filled with Daddy approved
reading material. (I know I would probably find myself in violation of the UN "Rights of
the Children Treaty" for cruel and inhuman treatment.)

I also have no problem helping out my elderly friends and neighbors by giving them both
a simple to use device and an SD card filled with literature I feel they might like, classics
most likely. I would be sure to tell them that it would be no imposition if they wanted
any help finding and installing other books of their choice.

Luck;
Ken
Even if you call it an e-reader for kids, it still involves a parent or someone who is a techno-geek and can convert books to FB2. For many books it will mean either first stripping the DRM, involving another step of geekiness, or a trip to the darknet, again involving some geekiness.

A device meant for children should still be simple for Joe/Josie Parent to load.

I hope Ectaco updates the firmware PDQ. This is a nice looking device, very similar in form factor to my much loved PB360. I think it is a great design and crippling it by having the only ebook format supported be the obscure FB2 is just so ridiculous.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote