View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #59
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Half of the adult population of the United States doesn't accept the scientific explanation of the origin of our species, and they vote.
The only reason we are having this thread is because of there being people who would become violent in response to their religious book being burnt. And I'm figuring that a lot more than half of that crowd also disagree with evolution.

At its worst, the Bible is as bad as the Quran. But the average page of the Quran seems, to me, to incite hostility towards those outside the religion a lot more often than the average page of the Bible. I just did a web search with randomly chosen translations, and found that the word hell appears 14 times in the Bible (New International Version) but 97 times in the much shorter Quran (M.H. Shakir translation), providing objective support for my subjective impression.

It seems to me that eternal torture is at least as bad as temporary torture here on earth. Don't get me wrong about the issue, through. Even repetitive, poorly organized, books advocating torture should nonetheless go unburnt and (if the motive is spite) undeleted. And of course there are vast numbers of Muslims who find the Quran a much more humanitarian book than I do, and act in accordance with its nicer themes.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-14-2010 at 09:57 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote