Originally Posted by gdaydigger
I've just found this earlier post below but -- and forgive me for being a dunce -- where do I make the amendment? Do I have to cut and paste "ln, fn" somewhere?
Are you trying to change calibre so you can conveniently enter author names in "lastname, firstname" order instead of its normal "firstname lastname" order?
If so, then start calibre, and:
1) Go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Tweaks.
2) Scroll the top box "All available tweaks" down until you see a group of lines ending with
author_sort_copy_method = 'invert'
3) Read the group of lines and decide what you want. It won't be 'invert'
4) Copy the line author_sort_copy_method = 'invert' and paste it into the lower box (current tweaks). It would be good to check if it is already there.
5) In the line in the lower box, change 'invert' to your chosen method.
6) Click apply, etc until the preference dialog closes.
7) Restart calibre.
Now the work begins. I hope you don't have a lot of authors.
8) In the tags view on the left, right-click on an author. Choose 'manage authors'.
9) Change every author to be in lastname firstname order. Often you can copy the existing author_sort value. As you change the authors, the author_sort value will change.
10) Correct any of the author_sort values that are wrong in your mind. Calibre will sort by the value in that box, so it must make sense to you.
11) When happy (or when paranoid enough), press OK. The authors displayed in the tag view and in the library pane should all change.
12) Repeat 8-11 until all authors are changed and all author_sort values are correct.
13) Select all your books in your library.
14) Press 'e' to open the bulk metadata edit dialog.
15) Check the box 'automatically set author sort'. DO NOT check/change any other box.
16) Press OK. Wait until done (or dark, perhaps).
At this point author names in your library are in lastname, firstname order. These author names will be reflected on your kindle as you send them.
NB: If the books in your library are DRM-encumbered, then (I think) calibre cannot update the author metadata when it sends the book to your kindle. This ^%* side effect of DRM could make all of the above futile.