View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #59
ecostin
ecostin will become famous soon enoughecostin will become famous soon enoughecostin will become famous soon enoughecostin will become famous soon enoughecostin will become famous soon enoughecostin will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3
Some more info

Upon startup, the K3 software is initialized by a script located at: /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh Somewhere in there, there's a variable declared for the test libraries: testlibdir=/test/ebook/lib

if [ -d "$testlibdir" ]; then
for i in "$testlibdir"/*.jar; do
clazzpath="$clazzpath":"$i"

In the said directory, there is a jar (testtools.jar) class which implements the function responsible for the ~exec command (com.amazon.ebook.d.a.a(String a, StringBuffer a, StringBuffer a)). So, if the /test directory is missing, there will be no ~exec command (the search function will return -2 with no output).

In order to check for the presence of the /test directory, run:
;debugOn
;dumpMessagesAll

Look in the logs for someting like:
100910:135140 system: I S91testd:def:starting testd test server
100910:121307 testd[3177]: W testd:log::Unable to open /mnt/base-us/testresults

Please drop a reply if you find any reference to "testd" - this would indicate that you have the /test directory.

Also, in the same logs, check for someting like:
100910:135143 root: -Xmx20m -Xgc:youngGen=3m -Dsun.awt.exception.handler=com.amazon.ebook.framew ork.impl.device.event.EventDispatchThreadException Handler -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/java/lib/localedata.jar:/usr/java/lib/charsets.jar -Dsun.boot.library.path=/usr/java/lib -cp :/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/JFEP-0.1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/KindleDeviceServicesAbstraction-1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook
:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/Search.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/XymlBooklet.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/msp.jar:/test/ebook/lib/junit.jar:/test/ebook/lib/test-TestBooklet.jar:/test/ebook/lib/testtools.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/portability-impl.jar -Ddebug=1 -Dc

If you see in the classpath the "/test/ebook/lib/testtools.jar", then you have the ~exec command.

If both testd and testtools.jar are present, then it should work ... or I'm wrong

Another way to check for testd:
Check the Kindle USB drive (/mnt/us) for a directory called "system" - it should contain a file named "test_client.conf" if the testd daemon is started (it creates this file upon startup).
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote