View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #28
customelectronic
customelectronic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
ouch. :eek:

Well, I have an almost brick....

No matter how I tried to arrange the russified, or your version, it would boot into the diagnostic mode. I tried to get it just to write a file to various places to see if the XML was being executed at all, and I also tried injecting it in the xml files and caches. None of that worked. I noted the hard reset idea in the autorun.xml and js files -- so I tried doing it through a hard reset with a paperclip. Still nothing.

Then while looking at the diagnostics, In frustration I tried the "restore to factory ..." item. Now the reader will not get past the initial splash screen with "Sony Reader, Opening book..." etc. I found that I can still use the USB port for access, but I can no longer get it into normal book reader mode. It is building the index xmls, and caching, but no buttons work -- and I can't even enter diagnostic mode anymore....

Now I am irritated.
So, I popped the back off and am digging in....
The WM8350G audio chip was easy to identify.
I was surprised at seeing the EPSON S1D13521 screen controller chip... The ARM processor chip, I was just reading two nights ago, supposedly has a controller built in. They were bragging that they owned 90% of the market..... hmmm.....
I read through the video driver kernel source, and it consists of a serial eeprom read/write (IIC) memory chip for what reason, I am not sure. But the algorithm packs 16level grayscale for maximum transfer rate to the screen; however, Epson indicates this particular chip is actually as 32 level grayscale chip.... hmmm, better graphics are possible -- w/ 50Hz update rate capability.
It also has a rico flash card controller chip, R5C807.
I also see a MCIMX31LDVKN5D -- china ---
I don't see any obvious test points or serial connection points... though I do see a maxim chip with numbers too black to read in this light... well, time for sleep.
customelectronic is offline   Reply With Quote