View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, in love with iRex DR800S. Also a K4NT. Now a Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Reza View Post
Hi,

I wonder if there is a easy way to porting iLaid's applications (like chess) to dr800 ?
I tried to port a chess program to DR800 some months ago, but with no luck.

Linux chess programs usually consist in 2 parts, the backend (engine) and the frontend (user interface).

- backend:
gnuchess v5.07: successfully compiled, not so difficult
crafty v23.2: crafty is a popular and powerful engine, but it needs some advanced CPU's registers and instructions not available in ARM CPUs.

- frontend:
Some alternatives here:
xboard: the canonical gnuchess frontend, it uses old Xaw/Xmu/Xat widgets, which I was able to compile, but they are too old to make screen refreshes easy to add
eboard: powerful, but uses gnomecanvas (already ported to DR) but screen refreshes are hard
gnome-chess: interesting option but uses some gnome libraries (libgnome[ui], libbonobo[ui]...) so porting would be not easy

And then I stopped...

IMO the way would be to work on eboard and port all that gnomecanvas stuff to support refreshes. Btw, we/you could use gnomecanvas or goocanvas (more modern), as I successfully compiled both for DR devices. Tell me if you want them.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote