View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Personally, I prefer a simple reader without added functions beyond reading books and does so well over having added bells and whistles. I do not want 3G connectivity for privacy reasons since the connections are unprotected. Same for WiFi. A USB cable isn't that big a deal to hook up although I've had no problems just pulling the SD card from my JBL, same as I do with my camera, and connecting it directly to my computer. People tout how much more useful an iPad is because it is a multifunction device. The additional functionality came at a price, though. It costs more, weighs more, and has a shorter battery life. I would much rather drop an e-book reader and be out $100-150 than the price of an iPad. Touch screens really aren't necessary to turn pages and select books from a menu.

Not everyone who reads has a computer so there is a place for devices that can connect directly to a store, even though the books they will received are pretty much locked to that brand of device. But there is still a place for simpler devices and hopefully manufacturers won't abandon them.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote