View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #39
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
If you do, you're lucky... you'll never have an ethical conflict in your life.

But I don't think we do. We live in multiple societies at once, and so, multiple sets of ethics, and we are constantly waging internal wars over which set of ethics takes precedence at any moment or decision point.

For instance, Neill's example is a conflict between a family ethic (preserve your offspring at all costs), a societal ethic (criminals forfeit their rights in society), and possibly a higher ethic (God says killing anyone intentionally is wrong). The decision, of course, is muddied by doubts (Will my son get off the tracks? Are all those people on the train bad? Could they possibly survive the crash?).

Which suggests another question: Do ethics count in a no-win scenario?
Now MY head hurts! I'm *almost* glad I have to leave for work now...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote