View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
usb trick

I have two EBM 911s, one with a serial port cradle and the other with a USB cradle. One works pretty good and it seems to play well with my XP. They both have the capacitor issue (I have actually bought new capacitors, but haven't installed them yet...scared to... they are soo tiny). There is a Yahoo forum for EBMs and either from there or here (not sure anymore) I learned a trick that helps when changing the batteries. IF the batteries have not died out completely, plug the EBM into the computer via the USB cord (doesn't matter if its recognized or the software is running, this is just about keeping a flow of electricity into the unit), as we know the EBM doesn't charge up this way but enough electricity is running through the unit that you can then change the batteries without losing the OS (of course unplug after the battery change).

I believe there are a couple of conditions to this procedure: having a USB cord that works with the EBM, and I mean CORD because the USB cradle that came with them can't work for this procedure (when in the cradle, the battery compartment is trapped underneath and can't be reached). My biggest problem is that I have multiple devices (and yes I just caved into ordering a Kindle 3, never thought I would that...), and whenever I have decided to use the EBM the batteries were already drained (wonder if keeping on a USB charger all the time would prevent that...or would it hurt the device?) and I usually have to reload the OS. This has happened enough times that I finally took some more advice I found online (where? not sure anymore...) of making a full (both OS and ebook) backup on the MMC card. With the backup on the card, even if you do lose all power, after you replace the batteries it automatically (sometimes I've had to "convince" it) reloads the information without having to hook it up to Desk Manager...this is good for when you are traveling with it.

As said before, I don't use it that much, the battery life is practically non-existant, and the contrast of text color and background color is not good (heck my eBookWise is almost e-ink in comparison). However I don't think I can part with it, its the perfect size and weight of what my dream of the perfect travel size ereader should be (my 5" pocket Pro just isn't small enough to hold comfortably in one hand or slid into my tiny purse...I hate purses...another rant...), yet bigger than the Blackberry, and until recently (when I get the K3...I think I am truely sick here) it was my only reader that can do mobipocket (and I have transfered recent mobi purchases onto it at least as recently as 3 months ago, no problems there).

Anyway I hope some of the above is helpful to someone...back into lurk mode I go.....

Last edited by spear; 09-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote