View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Now what I can't figure out is why they *won't* sell it without DRM. It makes no sense. I can see them happily selling stuff that the artist/author/company/etc demanded DRM on, but why make it mandatory, even if you don't want it? That's like telling someone they have to buy a car, even if they don't want or need one.
I suspect it's part of their ebook production/sale protocol: Customer adds to cart, clicks "pay now;" books are shoved through DRM-infliction program & made ready for download. They may not have a way to process books without the DRM. (And they won't directly allow authors to include a paragraph that says "you have my permission to crack the DRM here; it's not a violation of my copyright to do so," although they're not actively checking for such disclaimers.)

Someone should find out if Smashwords books fed to the iBookstore are automatically DRM'd.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote