View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook STR/iPad Air
My first reaction is, "Can you trim it down to 4500 words?"

At that length, you would have several options for selling to a genre magazine, at roughly 5-to-9 cents a word... which doesn't sound like a lot (maybe a few hundred dollars, depending on exact length and rate), but will usually be more valuable exposure than self-publication with no professional track record.

At the length you propose, you have a tough sell. It would be unlikely to be a viable stand-alone, unless you were able to sell it as adolescent/teen horror. You might be able to place it in an anthology, and there are a number of horror anthologies professionally published on an annual basis, so it might help to scout out the names of those working on such projects.

21,500 words is a lot more difficult to place than 11k, which is more difficult to place than 9,000, which is still more difficult to place than 7,000, etcetera. A few weekends ago, one of the best editors and anthologists in the field looked me in the eye and told me that if I could master 4,000-5,000 words, I would be able to sell everything I write. That was good advice, and I freely pass it along.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote