View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How nice of them to allow us to do what we already have the right to.

Before we get too excited about how great Amazon is for implementing this, remember that the reason we can't already do these types of things is because the DRM that the copyright cartel insists on is preventing it. If it weren't for DRM, you wouldn't need Amazon's participation/permission to gift an eBook.
Yes, it would be better not to have the DRM at all, but given that in the real world, we do, this is an improvement in their service. It will be a useful feature for me, so I'm pleased about it. Anything that the various vendors do to remove hassle associated with doing what one might reasonably expect to do with ebooks is a step forward, it seems to me.

Even better would be a universal standard without DRM, with an open, global market. Back on earth, I'm pleased to see each baby step towards a sensible, workable compromise.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote