View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Angus and Robertson also sell Kobos (maybe) in Australia and you wouldn't know from their stores as I have never seen a Kobo on display anywhere (several stores on the Sunshine Coast, in Brisbane and also Melbourne) My local store has their single display unit hidden in a drawer behind the register. I spoke to a staff member who said she didn't know why they were selling them as she was worried that if people bought ebooks instead of real books she would eventually lose her job!
I agree with A&R. My local has two in stock (have since they were released, so obviously no-one in my area knows about ebooks). They have one black and one white. The covers for the boxes are on a shelf in the window, the Kobos are behind the counter (one was used as a demo unit). As if I would even think about buying one from them. (a) They are opened units, (b) they have been used so who knows how they are treated, (c) given their limited stock and limited knowledge any issues I'd have to send them away for repair/replacement anyway. I'd pay $100AUS for one of them, but sure as hell I'm not ever going to pay full retail price for an old opened unit (no doubt they still have v.1 firmware). For all I know they could have been bought and returned.

Nup, I'll order online through Borders Australia, free postage (well was, not sure if still is) and at least they're unopened. Who cares about sending it back for warranty, as said before I'd have to send it away if I bought through my local A&R anyway. I stopped liking A&R a few years ago before I moved as the store became rather "snobish" for lack of a better word. If you knew a person working there they'd happily order a book in, but if you were just a customer (willing to pay on the spot) they would recommend you look elsewhere to buy a book they don't have in stock. And if you bought one of their top 10 or 50 best sellers they were all "Hi how are you, just this book? Good read, have you also looked at this book?" but if you bought a sci-fi or fantasy they were "just this?"
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote