View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
paulzag
paulzag began at the beginning.

Device: eMachines eM250, iPhone
Thanks Starson17

I know what you mean about pdf's. They are devil spawned and represent the smallest percentage of my data. But they cause the greatest pain. I've seriously thought about converting them to something friendlier, but most of them have formating that is tricky.

Quote:
Calibre tries not to "change" a user's book unless he clearly wants it. That's why the default is to save the book without change, and store metadata only in the db. If you want Google desktop search to access Calibre's copy of your books, you're going to have to update the metadata in the pdf.
Once my file is in calibre I delete the original. I'm okay with calibre's paradigm and this it's the smart way to do it.

Quote:
...ebooks are not like mp3s and metadata for ebooks is not like id3 tags. It's not possible to save most metadata in most ebook formats. Trying to write multiple types of metadata into different and inconsistent ebook formats is not at all like trying to write id3 tags into the mp3 format specifically designed to receive those tags
Don't start me on id3 "standards". oh well, you've helped me a lot. Thanks

I think I'll end up converting most stuff to epub and leave the fracking pdf's to hang
paulzag is offline   Reply With Quote