Thread: NYT Kindle obit
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowen View Post
Before I bought an ereader I was probably of the same opinion that something like the notion ink adam is the future (and I think you need the dual eink/lcd screen tech). But having taken the plunge then I realise that screen size is the key here. There will be a market for ipad size devices to both read on and do other things (read technical books and make notes etc). But the small dedicated ereader has a market for fiction readers, albeit one with color screen and minimal bezel in time for a small cost ($50). I don't want to sit and read with an ipad, I want a smaller device I can hold in one hand and read with.
I have both an iPad and dedicated eInk reading devices, and wouldn't want to be without either.

The iPad makes an excellent reading device for reading at home. Its 10" screen is about the same size as a hardback book, and, indeed, the iPad itself is about the same weight as a hardback book. I find reading on it to be very pleasant indeed.

However, when "out and about", a 5" or 6" eInk device is a lot more convenient.

The devices are complimentary; neither is definitively "better" than the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote