View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduct View Post
The problem is that I want to have my newspapers automatically download to the server while my desktop computer is off. As far as I can tell, the content server (under linux) requires x.org. Is that correct?

Since my server is just a command line system, I can't run the content server. Is there another way of autodownloading newspapers and having them properly converted/formatted for my Kindle that can be run at the command line?
For a definitive answer, you may have to wait for Kovid or another *nix user, but the answer I've seen is that you have to be able to install the complete Calibre package. You don't have to run the GUI - it will accept command line only instructions, but a minimal server system may have trouble installing Calibre. I don't know the exact dependencies.

It's odd that you say you can't run the content server because you have a command line system. I run an ancient Debian command line only server, and one of its few functions is to run Apache - a web server. That's all that the Calibre Content Server is - just a web server. Nonetheless, if you can't install Calibre, you can't run the content server portion or the news portion.

Also, I have no idea how a client server design for Calibre might take shape, but it's quite possible that it will still require a full install of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote