View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #80
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I can't help but wonder if a big part of the problems that plague the various Android tablets is Android itself. Android just doesn't seem to be a reliable OS for tablets. I guess it might work okay with phones. It seems to me that this is what would have happened had someone tried to use the old PalmOS 5.x on something more powerful than a PDA. PalmOS was okay, not stellar, on PDAs, so putting it on a tablet would have been a disaster. I've now owned or played with a few Android tablets and they were all extremely disappointing as far as the OS and firmware is concerned. And contrary to what some believe, I'm a firm believer that a reader/tablet needs to be intuitive and usable by non-techies. If you have to be a programmer to get the darn thing to work then it won't have a large sales base. So IMHO Android is too high maintenance to appeal to a large sales base.

As much as I hate Steve Jobs--I actually like Apple--I have to admit the appeal of the iPad is its simplicity to operate. If someone could do that on a tablet hardware without all of the Jobs controls and high prices, and if they used standard ports and protocols, they would have a great tablet.
We haven't seen any "proper" high spec android tablets yet, the next version of android will be optimized for multimedia and higher resolutions and the big players will release their products by the end of the year so it is probably too early to judge.

Last edited by skyline; 08-06-2010 at 05:26 AM.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote