View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Every time people bring up the issue of e-ink there is always somebody who trots out the response that people having been using lcds all day for years, but this ignores a crucial difference when reading a book it is a lot closer to your face than when you are using a monitor not to mention the obvious point that if you are using an lcd all day then why extend that if you have other options.
I've also heard that when you use an LCD at work, you are not staring at it consistently. You are looking around, at documents on your desk, at people who come to your desk, and so forth, and that gives your eyes chances to rest that they may not get when sitting down and reading. I think there is some truth to that. Also, my monitor is further away from my eyes than I can comfortably hold a book or ereader, so the distance may be a factor as well.

Personally, I don't have a problem reading on LCDs including my iPad but then I never have the brightness all of the way up. A properly adjusted LCD should really not be much brighter than a sheet of white paper under ambient lighting.

Of the two, I prefer the iPad simply because it means that I don't have to reach for another device when I want to do something else. The downside is that when the children are awake, I inevitably hear a chorus of "I want to play a game."

Last edited by dwharrison; 08-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote