View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
How are geographic restrictions affecting you?

Over the past few months (particularly since the start of the agency debacle) I have noticed that geo-restrictions have become, well, more restricting. It used to be that there were some bookshops that didn't pay as much attention to geo-restrictions, but these no longer seem to exist.

Personally, I can't be bothered jumping through hoops to try and circumvent the geo-restrictions, and I also don't go to the darknet for books that I don't already own - personally I feel that I don't have a right to read something that I haven't acquired legitimately, but this is my personal opinion. The outcome of this position is that there are many books that I would love to buy and read but can't and don't. I would estimate that over 95% of the books on my wishlist are geo-restricted.

The geo-restrictions that frustrate me the most are for books by local (NZ and Aus) authors where the ebooks are available in US/UK but not downunder. It's very frustrating (infuriating some days) and there are no winners.

So I'm wondering ... how many books on your wishlist are geo-restricted, and how do you deal with it.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote