View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, I'll admit it, I have a working Betamax. It really does it's job well, and until I went to all digital DVRs it was my main TV time management device.

The article does make a couple of good points. "There isnít the content in their proprietary BBeB DRM format and frankly why should there be. You would have thought they of all people would have learned this lesson by now." is a comment found often in this forum.

This isn't at all like Beta versus VHS, as he points out "... where is the market demand?". Video tape had been a TV station technology for years, even in cassettes called U-matic (also by Sony). Manipulation of TV schedules via "tape delay" was an every day occurrence. The idea of a home VCR that would let people set their own TV schedule was widely accepted as something everyone would want if it wasn't for the $5000 price of a machine. Beta was the first down-price machine, and VHS only took off because Sony didn't properly license its designs. Outnumbered by competitors, Sony lost a ton of potential earnings.

The Blog is for a dead-tree book sellers association. Surely you didn't expect those folks to see a problem with selling their current book product. Until there is a more widespread market niche, a one-trick-pony is a risky item to market. Sony needs to do more on the content side or these dark predictions are likely to come true.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote