View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Well, I kind of like the side-by-side two book comparison feature, and the choice of 6 fonts. And of course it's nice to have a sliding panel for the Table of Contents (where applicable) and one's notes and highlights. Unfortunately for Mac users, these last two functions seem not to have been enabled.

The "last page read" info in the My Library listing is also kind of nifty, though they really need to let you sort/filter your books somehow if you've a long list of such.

For the curious, this does not open eReader format PDB files. At all. However it seems you can add your own ePubs and PDFs.

But this thing is really slow and likes to give me the spinning beachball of death, and I have a relatively recent model Mac. Also, somewhat clunky and unintuitive GUI design, but probably no worse than ADE.

With a certain amount of improvement, it could shape up to be a fairly handy app.

All in all, I think I'll stick to using the Mac version of the B&N Reader, outdated as it is.

It already does most of the highlighting/note-taking/font-adjustment/double-page view/side-by-side books open stuff, and on the plus side, I can export my notes as plain text and copy/paste selected text without running into a "copy limit" notice.

ETA: Just tried the note-taking/highlight feature on something other than the decidedly under-detailed NookStudy User Guide. Works well enough, with options to set a rainbow of colours for highlights, question marks, and asterisks, but not combined, which would have been useful.

Other useful features: timestamps on the notes, which if any chapter they appear in, and keyword tags.

Still no way to export the notes that I can find.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-03-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Some stuff I thought didn't work actually does.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote