Thanks! I'm out of town now, so I will try it when I get back. One question though, do I follow those unbricking instructions, or the instructions on the Sony site?
Download and Installation Instructions
1. WARNING!! The Sony Reader must be fully charged before installing this update. Failure to fully charge the Reader before installing the firmware update may cause the Reader to be unresponsive or to require repair.
2. To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
3. Download the PRS-600 Updater 1.0.01.08040.exe file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
4. Make sure that all memory cards have been removed from the Reader.
5. Connect the Sony Reader to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
6. If the eBook Library software starts, close eBook Library before continuing.
7. . Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the PRS-600 Updater 1.0.01.08040.exe file to begin the installation.
WARNING!!: Do not disconnect the Sony Reader during the update process.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Note: The Sony Reader will automatically restart during the update process.
9. After the software update is complete, an "Update Completed" message is displayed.
10. Click the "X" to close the update utility.
After the Sony Reader restarts, and the Reader displays an update complete message, the installation of the Sony Reader (PRS-600) Update is complete.