View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #57
malliemcg
malliemcg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle3-WiFi
I think this is an interesting and constructive discussion at present. I am currently dealing with some DRM hell - both in the eBook and Movie format. I've had some hardware die on my PC which in getting it up and running again, the DRM prevents me from unlocking this media. The eBook in question is rather old and the online store that it was originally purchased from no longer exists and it can not be reauthorised. The Movies are WB movies and they won't do anything to assist.

Living in Australia I am getting sick of geographic restrictions, especially when I can pay and have the paper version shipped to me for around the same money as the eBook, I don't want to waste the energy or resources in moving a lump of paper half way around the world, I'd like to have it delivered electronically, but oh no, I live in the wrong country, can't have some bits and bytes, but can have the physical, so annoying.

I can certainly sympathise with people who turn to the darknet.

I'm still thinking about things like someone format shifting their paper collection and putting it onto an eReader, and I think morally this has to be fine, after all its the content is what has been paid for, not the medium, and as long as someone keeps the physical copies I can't see a moral reason for them not to grab an ecopy from elsewhere.

This discussion is not about DRM, but if a store and it's authorisation servers ever went off line, I'd believe someone was entitled to head off and replace those copies, I'm tempted to do it myself.
malliemcg is offline   Reply With Quote