It's a new month and there are new freebies. Several from last month are still free, so be sure to check the previous thread, HERE
This is the sticky thread for free and bargain books in the Kindle store for August 2010. Rather than try to update the first post with a list of all the books, which is continually changing, instead new books will be posted at the end of the thread and each month there will be a new thread, letting the old one drop off the top of the forum. Anyone can post to the thread, but there are a few rules:
- Only books in the kindle store. Yes, I realize that free books elsewhere will often work on the Kindle, but those should be reported in the Deals forum. This list is for those who only get their books from the Kindle store (and there are many who do) and don't want to deal with having to download and transfer books from elsewhere.
- No author self-promotions (unless your book is free in the Kindle store). If you are a Kindle author and posting another's work, it should be either a non-self-published book or one that you've read to the end and would not feel embarrassed to recommend to your mother, closest friends and priest/minister (assuming they read the same genre). In other words, the writing is exceptional (no misspellings or substituted words, grammar rules obeyed formatting that looks good on the Kindle screen). It isn't that we don't want you to post, but author self-promotions can overwhelm the list and a special child forum in the Deals and Bargains section has been provided for this purpose.
- No excerpts or sample chapters (business minis are ok, so long as they are not just samples of another book)
- Please indicate the price of any book that is not being offered free. You don't have to say "free" if one is, but it would be nice if you include that in the message. The maximum price for bargains is a bit flexible, but generally under $2 and nothing over $5, unless it is a volume that contains several titles in one and the total price per book puts it into the bargain realm or the digital price is below 25% of the list print price and 50% of the digital list price; this lets you include high priced reference books or cookbooks that are extremely heavily discounted, for one reason or another (but, let's not include books that Amazon has at $9.99 all the time, ok?).
- If you see the genre of a book and it isn't clear from the book description that you post, please include it; conversely, if someone leaves this off, don't post to berate them, but you can post to include that info for others.
- Try to keep chit-chat to a minimum. That will keep notifications of a new message in the thread down to (generally) only when a new book has been posted, making the thread more useful for all.
If you agree or disagree with the rules, have more to be added, etc, please send me a private message, rather than replying here. I'll discuss it with the moderators and we'll modify as needed.