View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #73
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Ughh, such a touchy subject... I already know where my moral ground stands, yet it's always interesting to see where everybody elses are. Many people quote what lawsa they know of regarding the legality/illegality of what they do, yet therein lies the problem; they only know the laws to support their claims and not the laws that may exist which rufute those laws, hence all the litigation. While many claim it's black and white, I'd have to argue there for various reasons, a) different countries have different laws, b) ambiguous wording in many laws (typically placed their to future-proof the ruling), c) there are many other laws/rulings around that you can have no way of knowing unless you spent the time researching the piles or rulings and judgments previously passed, and finally, d) if it is so black and white, why is there such arguement over it?

I still stick by my earlier statement regarding taping form the radio, I have never known it to be illegal to record from the radio for personal use the entire time I was growing up. Nobody in any of the 15 states I lived in within the U.S. ever complained or got arrested for recording a song off the radio. Why else would the darn boomboxes have the capability to record from off-the-air? I never heard of any companies bringing any litigation regarding this, it wasn't until the Internet & MP3's made it possible to spread CD-quality music so rapidly that things got so hairy and so many gray areas began to crop up.

Oh yeah, a quick update... the RIAA recently won a claim against an individual for the spreading/sharing of 24 songs via Kazaa to the tune of $222,000! Not that they'll ever see that kind of action from a private citizen. Who knows, the ruling may be overturned when it goes back for appeal due to lack of proof. Link to Wired
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote