View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
pillows and ocr

A book pillow? Never heard of that. I can imagine a black soft pillow as a "cradle" for books but it would be a daunting task to keep the book pages at the same position for sequential shots. What about a glass to flatten the pages? Can you give more info on that?
As for OCR, you apparently use it for English texts which are so easy that Acrobat Capture (and even free ocr programs) may be ok. I ocr all kind of languages (even old Russian cyrilic) and books as old as 17th century. I tried Omnipage, Iris, Textbridge, an IBM program whose name I forgot, and any demo/evaluation I could find on the internet. There is no match to Finereader (they even offer a version for Gothic Fraktur and Old European Script but it is too expensive for personal use - apparently they sell it to libraries).
OCR is crucial if you search thousands of books for specific terms and purpose, like genealogical research. You just cannot read thousands of books page by page.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote