View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #61
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
But I'm not sure about the hard-wired part. If by that you mean that morality is innate, then I don't know if I would agree. I think our morality has a lot to do with external factors. Education, upbringing, environment, society, Mother Goose fairy tales, etc. We're not taught to scream and cry as infants, but we do. That's hard-wired into us. But if we have to be taught morals and ethics, then clearly, it must not be something we're born with.
While I'm quite sure our upbringing forms the core of our beliefs, including morals, how we deal with it are also affected by our personality. For example, I am most comfortable with fairly clear-cut "rules" and that people follow them in a consistent manner. Hence I (try to) do that, too. So I don't think I'd pillage and plunder even if there were only a few days left. It would be wrong and I wouldn't do it simply because of that.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote