View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Hyer View Post
I may take a look again at ebay to see what the prices are for new Sony 505's, but the last I checked they seemed quite inflated. Where in the UK can you purchase and have a new one shipped?
Yep... thanks to this forum (and several others) due to the overall function, the crispness of the display, the ability to hack and install PRS+, etc., have made the 505 a very popular and much sought after device.

If you are leaning towards the 505 then heres something else to consider. Many threads have been posted how the Sony eInk readers that followed after the 505 were not s crisp (didn't have the same contrast levels) as the 505 ... that is... until they released the PRS300!

I own both the 505 and the 300 and they both have the same excellent display characteristics. The display area is only slightly smaller on the 300.
(3" x 4" versus 3 9/16" x 4 13/16") Also, the 505 is considerably heavier so I find I prefer the smaller size of the 300 when trying to read in bed with one hand. Also, because the 300 is similar in size to a paperback book it can easily be slipped into a pants pocket or purse.

I owned a Sony Touch Touch (600) for 3 days before I took it back. I was disatisfied with quality of the display. It seems the properties of the screen material in the touch units reduces the contracst levels. (not to mention the annoying reflective properites)

I love my 300. No reflection, great contrast and the firmware upgrade capability. Like the 505... the 300 can be modified (hacked) so you can install the clock feature among other things including changing the default fonts. I updated my 300 last week no problem.

FYI... if you still want to go after the 505 don't forget to check Cragslist. While a reader off Craigslist may not be new... I watched for several months in the cities around mine and eventually snagged a used one in excellent shape for $100.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote