View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
* What kind of device do you read the technical e-books on?

A regular PC.

* What original formats do you use, and how do you prepare/convert them?

PDF is the main format. Since most of them come from the outside I am at the mercy of the company preparing them. CHM is the most problematic format for me.

Those documents that are prepared here are mostly in PDF including a Tech User Manual for one company in Sony Reader format. We have used special PDF format and LRF format. The jury is still out.

* Are you happy with your solution? What would be better?

For 95% of the documents, yes. They are reference so search is a requirement. While I would like more material on the Sony Reader that is not an option at this point.

* Does your solution require perfect eyesight?

No. I wish I had it. Most of the people I work with need glasses to read (OK, there is one; but I suspect that she has LASIX surgery and took the one near and one far option.)

* Have you given up and decided to read the paper versions for now?

No, not an option. To get a paper version of most of the material would mean to print the PDF. Few of them are available in hardcopy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote