View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Marcy's Avatar
 
Posts: 839
Karma: 217272
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It's not being created when you "open containing folder," it's opening the folder that Calibre thinks holds your book.


This folder was created by Calibre previously.

This is where Calibre thinks the book is located. It's almost certainly not created when you choose "open location" as that code doesn't create folders.
This is not true. The folder is not there until I choose "open location." This was the first thing I checked.

And calibre certainly does create folders. When you import a new book it creates a folder for that author if not already in the database and a folder for the book.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
First, confirm what I wrote above (that the empty 1892 folder already exists.) I'm 95% certain, but doublecheck.
Nope, doesn't exist unless I choose "open location."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Next, check to see if you have the 1299 entry in your GUI main screen. I'm pretty sure from your post that you don't, but just make sure by doing a search or manually looking through to make sure you do not have these records at the bottom of your listing.
The numbers are the row number assigned to the book when calibre imports it into the database. It's nothing I can search on. These are in the metadata.db file, not in the individual book file. They are used as a locator, not as part of the book's individual metadata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Third, I'm assuming that you have good metadata in the empty 1892 record, but no formats in that record. Also, assuming you do not still have the old entries (checked in step 2), open the 1299 folder (with a file explorer outside Calibre) and drag the book format files in it into Calibre's GUI.
This will create a third book id (lets say 1300), but without metadata.
Last, select both of 1299 (good metadata, no book formats) and 1300 (book formats, but no metadata) and choose the Edit Metadata, Merge-delete others to merge the two and keep your good metadata. (Preferably, select 1299 first, but it doesn't matter a lot.)
This all makes no sense, because the problem lies in the metadata.db file not in the book metadata. I can't even select the actual book because calibre doesn't know it exists, as it isn't properly coded in the database. calibre is literally blind to that book because it has improper directions on how to reach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There are lots of different ways to do this that may make it easier. It may be best to move your library first using Calibre's new move library function. That will move what Calibre thinks are the correct folders and separate them from all the old folders (that Calibre seems to have forgotten about). Then, if you set set the regex in Add/Save correctly, and turn on the "If similar author title found ..." option, Calibre will be able to automatically match each new book to the correct old record (with good metadata) and you'll avoid having to do all the manual merges. Adding the old books should be trivial if you get them separated. It will take some testing to get it right, so if I was in your shoes, I'd back it all up and try several approaches to fix it, until I found one that would work well.
Good luck!
And none of this will work because calilbre doesn't know that any of the correct folder exist. I need to fix the "map" so calibre is getting the correct "directions."

-Marcy
Marcy is online now   Reply With Quote