View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Don't forget the academic/scientific/medical/engineering, etc. worlds that need a large screen. They would gladly pay the price in $$ and weight.
Quite true. But the same principle aplies to text books. There is a very limited market for any text book. Therefore the price is astronomical compared to books of the same size targeted to a popular (much larger) audience. Let's examine the DX and text books. About this time last year the DX was touted and marketed as the best digital reader for university students to read text books on. Did that market really advance beyond a niche market? No. Would an even larger and more expensive device out sell the DX or DXG in the university student niche market? I doubt it would even come close to the number of DXes sold in that same niche market. Students don't have money. I was a grad student once, I nearly starved! Their professors and scientist do have money to spend on such devices, but they represent a very small percentage of the buyers who purchase digital readers. If I was Amazon, I sure wouldn't put out a Kindle for such a small niche market. The DXG is already pushing the size and weight envelope near it's limit, anything beyond that and I doubt many buyers would purchase it.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
jswinden is online now   Reply With Quote