View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
quality doubts about device & service Pocketbook Germany

Do other people fare better with the Pocketbook Germany service than I have? Initially, I was quite happy with the PB360 I received in February. Most of the good things people say about them are true: it's nicely designed, handy, small, and much more configurable than a bigger brand ereader like Sony's.

But for some reason mine stopped functioning properly somewhere in May. This was not because of a firmware update -- mine already started flunking out with 14.2. No matter what I tried, I kept having to reset the thing several times a day, and at the end it wasn't possible to read for more than a few pages without having to reset.

On the forum it was suggested it *might* have to do with a faulty battery. I e-mailed Pocketbook and they promised to send a replacement battery.

This never showed up, and ever since then their main line of action to an e-mail with a question seems to be to just let it rest, or - after repeated e-mails - reply briefly with a noncommittal comment in the hope that the complaint will just disappear.

I tried several solutions to fix the spontaneous reboot and freezing problems of the device (firmware upgrade, downgrade, switch fbreader, different configuration options), none worked. After weeks and weeks of this, and again on the advice of someone from PB on the forum, on 29 June I sent the device to the Pocketbook Centre in Germany. I sent it to the right address, but the package is undeliverable. I can follow its progress on a track&trace page: either the address doesn't exist or they refuse to accept it.

When I e-mailed about this, all the reply I got was "something went wrong". Well, obviously. It seems the ereader is on its way back to me, "return to sender". If ever 15 euro's for postage & packaging went down the drain, they sure did here.

I'm really sorry now that earlier this year I enthusiastically recommended this device to people. Not only did it seem to good to be true (cheaper *and* more configurable than major brands), now it's beginning to seem to me it *is* too good to be true. After a month or two the device basically conked out. I haven't been able to read a book on the PB360 for over two months, and the company (it's not just two boys in a garage, surely?) doesn't respond.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote