View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Okay, I'm kind of crabby tonight, but ....

How is it that your book will lose money on every sale at any price under $14.95, yet other authors sell for a fraction of that price? You know who David Weber is, right? He doesn't seem to be losing money in the writing business, but I can buy three of his books for the price of one of yours. And I'm a little unclear on just what it's costing you, and how.

Also, um, If I wanted to read books on my PC, I wouldn't have spent the money on my ebook reader. Not being tethered to my desk was kind of the whole point.

Not that it matters in any event, since they're DRM-restricted, but by only selling your books to Kindle owners (or to people who don't actually want to use ebook readers) you're leaving money on the table. What you're doing is like standing in the door of a bookstore and telling customers that you'll only let them buy your books if they drive GM cars -- turning away the Ford owners and the Chrysler owners and all the foreign car owners at the door. Just because GM has the largest market share -- the biggest piece of the pie -- doesn't mean it has the whole pie. Likewise, well, take a look at the people browsing the device forums here on MobileRead: The Kindle is top at the moment, with 73 people reading its forum, but there are 166 people reading forums for devices other than the Kindle. In other words, for every person who are able to read your book on their e-reader, there are 2+ people who can't. Two-thirds of your potential customers are being turned away at the bookstore door.

The third book "badly needs edits"? How did it get up there if your editor wasn't finished with it yet? Or are is this one of those situations where the last words you said to your editor were "The next time I see you, it's going to be over the barrel of a lawyer"?

It's 2 am and I'm seriously lacking in caffeine, which may explain a lot, but I don't seem to be able to make much sense out of this.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote