View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Wifi, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Tab 10.1
So I downloaded both editions: one for Kindle, one for Kobo.

(It's my first Peter Robinson / Inspector Banks: a police precedural crime story with some pretty explicit bits, told in the 3rd person. I have to say I was dragged into the story on the first few pages and devoured the first two chapters without missing a beat. It's also a very long story -- about double the length of my usual reads.)

The formatting difference is dramatic, with all thumbs up for the Kindle edition. The kindle offers paragraph breaks without "End Of Chapter" notifications; justified text; indented paragraphs ... it reads like a paperback. The Kobo ePub offers only ragged right with full line space between paragraphs and slightly fewer characters per line. In the case of dialogue, this can add dozens of page turns to a chapter. As much as I like to hold and read from a Kobo ... the Kindle wins hands down in pleasing formatting and the ability to click on a word for a dictionary look-up.

Whichever works for you, the book is highly recommended.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote