View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
This was a great observation. (Now that you said it, Yeah, that's what happens to me, too.)

As were some of your other similarly hard-to-express observations, but you made them very understandable. Sorta novel to see such a well-expressed right-brained review.

That summary was also useful to those of us waffling between the GDX and K3.

Thanks much. Your review, to me at least, was just excellent. It really resonated somehow with my particular way of viewing things.

For web use in particular, not having used a K3, I don't suppose you have an opinion about whether the lack of number keys becomes an annoyance?
I'm glad you liked the review! In the past, my purchases have been very emotional and impulsive, along the lines of thinking the specific product is going to be useful and/or fun because I like it, which has led to some expensive paperweights. I tried to go at this in a way that was perfectly logical. The iPad was my dream device, as I was emotionally attached to getting it, but once I started going through the pros and cons and the reality of my use with it, I was able to realize it would have been kind of redundant and possibly a waste of money. I applied the same thought paradigm to the other readers and the Graphite won, at least in my mind. I was a little shakey about waiting for the K3, since it may be a very good product, too. However, testing with the PDFs shows me that the DX screen is critical for what I want to do. Anything smaller would get more and more impractical.

As far as the keys go, I really don't mind. The keyboard is much easier to use/more accurate than the iPhone/iPad keyboard and the iPhone has an "alt" option for the numbers anyway. Using those as the basis of the metric, I would say that the Kindle has a better input interface, IMO.

However, I am biased, because my old Blackjack phone had almost the exact same keyboard config, except that the alt numbers were in different spots, so I am very used to the scheme.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote