Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
Greetings from a bookstore owner in Sweden

Hello all,

The name's Magnus and I run a small bookstore in the south of Sweden.

Two things about that make it special. First, I'm one of the few that don't percieve ebooks as a threat to bookstores and the book retailing bit. As opposed to quite a few of my colleagues. Secondly, we were actually the first bookstore in Sweden to sell ereaders.

We are also one of the few bookstores that can sell ebooks over the counter, although that will probably change in a very near future.
Soon, every bookstore in Sweden will be able to do that.
And the reason for this, was something the publishers didn't think about:
Most of our customers buying ereaders are older people and a lot of them don't have computers.
So, while taking advantage of the obvious features of the ereaders, many books at hand, being able to adjust the fontsize, the customers always come back to get a new book and have us put it in. Because they can't, won't, aren't intrested in doing that themselves.

Myself, I've got a Sony Touch, PRS600, and have just ordered the new PRS650, through a friend who's off to England today.

In the store we've sold different brands and models, the most popular being Cybook Opus and the Sony Touch.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about the insides of this business.

Mange (short for Magnus)
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Welcome, Magnus!

It's good to see you here, and to hear what you're up to in book selling. Your methodology sounds incredibly sensible, and it's a breath of fresh air!!

Do you sell ebooks primarily in Swedish or English? Where do you source them?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Hi Mange. Nice to have you here.

If you can't beat us, you join us ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi Nomesque,

We sell a bit of both actually. We get the english ebooks from Gardners, one of our suppliers, that can send ebooks directly to my customer, altough I'm the one ordering it.
So the customer comes in to my bookstore, buys an ebook and goes home and downloads it, using a link given to him/her in an email from me/Gardners.

That model is not really representative of the one I spoke of earlier, because it assumes you, the customer, has a bit of computer knowledge. Or a computer for that matter.

The swedish ebooks on the other hand is supplied by Elib and I download them on my computer at the counter. Then the customer gets his/her ebook, when I drag and drop it to the ereader. This assumes they got their ereader with them.
Which they always do, of course.

Mange
Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
Mange
Enthusiast

Hi kacir,

Exactly my thought. But you'd be surprised how many who opposes the whole ebook idea (or maybe you're not really surprised).

But an interesting thing we've noticed: it's not customers or publishers or authors that are sceptical. It's other bookstore owners. They see it as a threat. And they don't seem to realise that the threat to bookstores isn't coming from ebooks.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome,
Mange
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Welcome to MobileRead..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Mange
Enthusiast

Thank-you Lene,

And you're all the way in Australia!
Cool.
Wish I could've been there too. It's getting too cold here for my taste.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Magnus and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome that's a very clever and considerate approach to ebooks!
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
Hello all,

The name's Magnus and I run a small bookstore in the south of Sweden.

Most of our customers buying ereaders are older people and a lot of them don't have computers.
So, while taking advantage of the obvious features of the ereaders, many books at hand, being able to adjust the fontsize, the customers always come back to get a new book and have us put it in. Because they can't, won't, aren't intrested in doing that themselves.

Mange (short for Magnus)
WELCOME to MobileRead, Magnus. What a fantastic way to do business. As someone who has worked in retail all her life, I applaud your customer service. Best of luck to you, and enjoy the forums.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and be sure to check out our library for downloads. Formatted by our own members, you'll find them free of extraneous pages, errors, etc that you might see from other sources!

Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Hi Magnus and welcome. I think that the stores, which will survive, are the ones which gives their customers a little extra service. I think you are on the right track.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Mange
Enthusiast

Thank you Javed, Valmore Daniels, desertgrandma and KunoK for the welcome and the kind words.

Yes, I agree, that this is a important way to meet the future. Especially in our business.
Selling books is as old as Metusalem and the last business to adjust to new times.
If my colleagues doesn´t change with the times I'm afraid that we'll see more small towns here in Sweden without a local bookstore. And I guess in other countries as well.

Take care all.
I'm looking forward to discussing all things ebooky with you guys.

Mange
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hey, Magnus. Really great to have your new company from ye gods' own country. I love indie shops. Pop into my own indie publisher site below and I reckon we can immediately offer you at least 100 titles in whatever format suits and at good retail rates. Meantime, choose a few titles from our own online bookstore, email me, and I'll send them along for you to check quality. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Mange
Enthusiast

Neil and Sandy, a varm thank you for the welcome.

Neil, I'll be sure to check out your online bookstore and I'll also email you as soon as possible.
Right now though, I'm preparing to go to Gothenburg in a few days for an important seminar, "Framtidens bokhandel" (translates to "The bookstore (business) of the future") and the swedish bookfair the day after that.
There'll be lots of publishers and authors and also some ereader companies. I'm hoping to get a hands-on on the first Cybook Orizon in Sweden later this week.
But I'll be back!

Take care,
Mange

Tags
bookstore, ebook business, retail