View Full Version : E-reader apps for Android

bjones6416
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I got my first Android phone this weekend, and I've tried four different e-reader programs so far: Kindle, Kobo, FBreader, and Aldiko. Aldiko for the win! It's got a beautiful interface, is very customizable, and best of all, I can drag my epub books into it manually and it will import them with no problem. I deleted the Kobo and FBreader programs. I'll keep the Kindle because if I happen to be reading a Kindle book it will sync between this and my Kindle, and that's pretty handy. If I just had to have one, though, it would be Aldiko. It's very nice. :thumbsup:

JSWolf
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I didn't know Kindle, Kobo, FBReader, and Aldiko all all different versions of eReader.

bjones6416
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I didn't know Kindle, Kobo, FBReader, and Aldiko all all different versions of eReader.

I know that you only like to use the term "eReader" to refer to a format, but I think a lot of the new people here use the term differently. Not trying to confuse anybody! :)

I, of course, am referring to different applications for reading electronic books that are available for the Android phone.

bjones6416
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
:o Thank you to whichever Green Person moved this thread -- I admit I didn't even know there was an Android subforum!

bjones6416
09-13-2010, 09:44 AM
And now that I'm here IN the Android subforum, I see that this has been discussed extensively. Sorry, sorry. Very much my fault. :)

Feel free to ignore.

SlowRain
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm curious to know which phone you bought and how you like it.

bjones6416
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm curious to know which phone you bought and how you like it.

I got the LG Ally, which is pretty much an entry level Android phone. I really like it, though. I went from an LG Dare to this, so the jump in performance is mind-boggling. I thought I would wait until Verizon offered the iPhone but my Dare died so I went ahead and got this one. I can't really see right now what I would want from an iPhone that I don't get with this. Android is pretty cool.

SlowRain
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks.

Backdraft
09-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Wait a few months, you'll be yearning for a higher-end and more powerful Android.

This platform is addictive (especially if you like to tinker).

kennyc
09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
BTW I've used my DroidX the last couple of mornings to read as I walk just before/after sunrise and it is wonderful for that! Reading Mark Murphy's - Android programming books with FBReader.

bjones6416
09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
BTW I've used my DroidX the last couple of mornings to read as I walk just before/after sunrise and it is wonderful for that! Reading Mark Murphy's - Android programming books with FBReader.

I remember seeing that you've been using FBReader. What do you like better about it than Aldiko? I've been using mine to read in bed at night, and Aldiko lets me make the font really BIG so I don't have to wear my glasses. I had FBReader on here for a little while, and I can't remember why it didn't please me, but it didn't. I need to look at it again, I guess.

wodin
09-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I got my first Android phone this weekend, and I've tried four different e-reader programs so far: Kindle, Kobo, FBreader, and Aldiko. Aldiko for the win! It's got a beautiful interface, is very customizable, and best of all, I can drag my epub books into it manually and it will import them with no problem. I deleted the Kobo and FBreader programs. I'll keep the Kindle because if I happen to be reading a Kindle book it will sync between this and my Kindle, and that's pretty handy. If I just had to have one, though, it would be Aldiko. It's very nice. :thumbsup:

I have tried several readers on my HTC EVO 4G, and recently settled on Kindle for exactly the reason you have stated. Even though it's not as full featured or pretty as some of the others, the WhisperSync feature more than makes up.

I tend to jump from device to device, and used to sync them with word search. That required me to remember to sync before moving on, which is a time consuming hassle. Since I loaded the Kindle app on everything the problem has been solved. Now if Iím reading something on my PC or tablet or my wifeís K2 and I want to head out, no problem. I just open the Kindle app on my phone; tap the sync button, and wallah! There I am.

kennyc
09-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I remember seeing that you've been using FBReader. What do you like better about it than Aldiko? I've been using mine to read in bed at night, and Aldiko lets me make the font really BIG so I don't have to wear my glasses. I had FBReader on here for a little while, and I can't remember why it didn't please me, but it didn't. I need to look at it again, I guess.

That is an issue with FBReader....I'd like the (default?) font sizes bigger, but it is useable.

The thing with Aldiko is that I couldn't find an easy way to drag and drop the books in....after spending some time with no success I figured it wasn't worth any more effort. It's possible I missed something....I'm leaning new things about this DX every day it seems.

bjones6416
09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
That is an issue with FBReader....I'd like the (default?) font sizes bigger, but it is useable.

The thing with Aldiko is that I couldn't find an easy way to drag and drop the books in....after spending some time with no success I figured it wasn't worth any more effort. It's possible I missed something....I'm leaning new things about this DX every day it seems.

I've been dragging and dropping epubs into Aldiko with no problem. There is an "import" folder in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card of the phone. Drag the epubs into that folder, then open Aldiko and tell it to import. (I'm not sure whether that import folder was created by Aldiko or not -- I don't remember seeing it the first time I was fooling with it. If it's not there just put one there, though.)

kennyc
09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
I've been dragging and dropping epubs into Aldiko with no problem. There is an "import" folder in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card of the phone. Drag the epubs into that folder, then open Aldiko and tell it to import. (I'm not sure whether that import folder was created by Aldiko or not -- I don't remember seeing it the first time I was fooling with it. If it's not there just put one there, though.)

Thanks. I'll give it a shot...I found absolutely nothing on this....admittedly I didn't look real hard...I kinda expect these apps to be somewhat intuitive ...

bjones6416
09-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot...I found absolutely nothing on this....admittedly I didn't look real hard...I kinda expect these apps to be somewhat intuitive ...

Yeah, I didn't find anything on it either, I just sort of blundered into it! It works, though.

(Another thing that makes it good for reading in bed is that you can drag your finger along the left margin up and down to turn the screen brightness up and down. That's pretty cool.)

kennyc
09-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I didn't find anything on it either, I just sort of blundered into it! It works, though.

(Another thing that makes it good for reading in bed is that you can drag your finger along the left margin up and down to turn the screen brightness up and down. That's pretty cool.)

Okay, got it now...the folder must be exactly /eBooks/import

(I had it as imports) .. when you tell it to import (from the home screen) it displays a message about the folder and name and then imports when you tell it to continue.

Thanks for persevering with me. :)

I do like that I can left justify....full justification on a small screen with technical programming books (with very long names) sucks.

Yes the programming examples are much much better than in FBReader.

bjones6416
09-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Okay, got it now...the folder must be exactly /eBooks/import

(I had it as imports) .. when you tell it to import (from the home screen) it displays a message about the folder and name and then imports when you tell it to continue.

Thanks for persevering with me. :)

I do like that I can left justify....full justification on a small screen with technical programming books (with very long names) sucks.

Yes the programming examples are much much better than in FBReader.

I'm glad it works for you now too. Go to bed and read!

And thank YOU. :)

kennyc
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm glad it works for you now too. Go to bed and read!

And thank YOU. :)

:rofl: :thumbsup:

JSWolf
09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
What is the best app currently for Android to view ePub?

bossfan2000
09-22-2010, 11:18 AM

I have an Evo 4G and have tried ALL of the Android apps. Obviously Kobo, nook, and Kindle are good if you buy books from their respective stores. So I'll base this on the idea you want to read DRM free epubs on your Android device.

I tried Aldiko, fbreader and Lapunta (plus the ones above from the book stores). At first I liked fbreader the best, because I thought it had more options for customizing. Then I tried Aldiko and it became my favorite. However, neither of those will give you the .epub page number you are on, which really bugged me. Otherwise both seem to have the same basic customization settings. So I would go with Aldiko over the other 2.

However, the nook app now allows you to add your DRM free ebooks to the /nook/My Documents directory..so now I prefer the nook app. It actually lets you choose from many fonts (8), instead of just serif or sans serif like Aldiko and fbreader. And it gives you the epub page number! That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.

Note to view the epubs you add to the My Documents directory in nook, you will need to select the Filter menu option in the Book View..then select My Documents. Otherwise your imported book will not show (this works the same on the nook e-ink device)

So I guess my answer is Aldiko or nook..whichever you happen to prefer.

kennyc
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm with Jeff on Aldiko but have not tried the Kindle/nook/etc. I initially used FBReader but found it was not displaying long lines correctly in some Programming Books. Aldiko displays them correctly.

The one thing I'm not pleased with about Aldiko is that you have to 'import' your books into it's library. With FBReader you can just drag and drop to a directory and it will show them.

N13L5
09-22-2010, 01:30 PM
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet...
Cause I use it on my computer, and its got total overkill in choices on how you want to look at your books, from size to alignment to indentation, any font you got installed, it'll use, you can increase or decrease margins, and make any custom keyboard shortcuts imaginable.

What I initially liked about it though were the nicely done green button icons and the fact it didn't annoy me with fake wood veneers and contrast reducing imitation parchment.

Have any of you tried Barns and noble's eReader application, or is there no Android version yet?

Its got that annoyance of having to import from a specific folder too, instead of just opening a file, and its a little too buy-more-online centric, making reading your own books the last choice in the line.

However, its got one brilliant feature: if you have a supported dictionary installed, you get a lookup right in your book, without having to leave or even change pages.
Are you aware of any other readers that have that?

kennyc
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet......

I think that is true in general about any app that has a PC equivalent...primarily because of the space/battery/responsiveness and the limitations of the Android OS compared to a full-boat OS.

wodin
09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.

This is a little off the topic of ePub readers but ...

I wanted to read a book (Twilight series) that I had given to my wife for her Kindle, so I downloaded the Kindle app for my EVO, my PC and my Win7 tablet, and discovered the magic of WhisperSync. Since I use these devices interchangeably depending on my circumstances, and had in the past went through the hassle of word search to find my place when I changed devices I found OTA syncing to more than make up for any drawbacks of K4PC or K4Android lack of feature sets. And since my kindle books are transportable between devices, I don’t even mind Amazon’s DRM (too much).

In my case, WhisperSync has paid off for Amazon, I have since purchased the entire Southern Vampire Mysteries series, and a few more Kindle books.

sbtx99
09-24-2010, 09:17 PM

I like both Aldiko and FBReader but prefer Aldiko for a couple of reasons.

- Aldiko lets you create collections as well as tags.

- Aldiko displays both your overall progress and your chapter progress [Overall Progress: 5%; Chapter Progress: 25% (20/80)]. Since most of the reading apps I've tried don't use the actual epub page numbers, I use the chapter progress in Aldiko to help me find my place when switching between devices.

I've also used txtr a couple times. It's not the best reader (really lacking in features) but it does support adobe adept DRM. And it displays the epub page numbers in the margins, which makes it a breeze to switch devices.

sbtx99
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
However, the nook app now allows you to add your DRM free ebooks to the /nook/My Documents directory..so now I prefer the nook app. It actually lets you choose from many fonts (8), instead of just serif or sans serif like Aldiko and fbreader. And it gives you the epub page number! That means if you use a e-ink epub reader, you can at least easily move between devices by using the Go To page functionality in nook and your device. Sure, not as nice as over the air synching..but its the next best thing.

I couldn't find a way to delete the side-loaded epubs from the nook app. So I went to the /nook/MyDocuments folder and deleted them outside the app, but the deleted books are still showing up in the nook app under the MyDocuments filter.

The epub page number is great, but every time I open a side-loaded epub in the nook app it opens at page 1 instead of the page where I left off. And there's currently no bookmark support for the side-loaded epubs either. (I read on a B&N forum the reason there's no bookmark support is because they rushed out the side-loading feature to make it available as quickly as possible and will add additional features in later releases.)

bjones6416
09-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I like both Aldiko and FBReader but prefer Aldiko for a couple of reasons.

- Aldiko lets you create collections as well as tags.

- Aldiko displays both your overall progress and your chapter progress [Overall Progress: 5%; Chapter Progress: 25% (20/80)]. Since most of the reading apps I've tried don't use the actual epub page numbers, I use the chapter progress in Aldiko to help me find my place when switching between devices.

I've also used txtr a couple times. It's not the best reader (really lacking in features) but it does support adobe adept DRM. And it displays the epub page numbers in the margins, which makes it a breeze to switch devices.

I use Aldiko, but obviously I haven't explored all of its possibilities. Thanks for the good info!

sbtx99
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I use Aldiko, but obviously I haven't explored all of its possibilities. Thanks for the good info!

I'm glad the info was helpful! :) I only recently found out about the collections. But the chapter progress feature has been really handy. Stanza (on my iPod Touch) has this feature, so I was really happy to find a reading app for Android with the chapter progress feature. It's made switching between my mobile devices and my prs-300 much easier.

sbtx99
09-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I couldn't find a way to delete the side-loaded epubs from the nook app. So I went to the /nook/MyDocuments folder and deleted them outside the app, but the deleted books are still showing up in the nook app under the MyDocuments filter.

The epub page number is great, but every time I open a side-loaded epub in the nook app it opens at page 1 instead of the page where I left off. And there's currently no bookmark support for the side-loaded epubs either. (I read on a B&N forum the reason there's no bookmark support is because they rushed out the side-loading feature to make it available as quickly as possible and will add additional features in later releases.)

Just got an answer over at the B&N forum for nook apps on how to remove a deleted book from the nook app: After deleting the epub file from the /nook/MyDocuments folder, go back to the app and log out & log back into your account. After logging back in, the deleted ebooks no longer show up in the app. (Yay!) Only drawback is logging out removes the B&N ebooks from the device, and you have to re-download them after you log back in. (Not so yay!)

SolRaven
09-27-2010, 06:57 AM

I'm really surprised at how much I love using Aldiko on the Droid X. Sometimes I'll use it over my 4 eink readers that are sitting right next to it.

SolRaven
09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

That's funny because I'd forgotten how I imported books and just wen through this a few minutes ago. I finally went on their website and imported my books step by step. What I'd forgotten to do is go to the notification area and change the selection from "USB Mass Storage" to "Charge Only". On my old Droid 1 I believe the option said "Unmount".

http://www.aldiko.com/support.html#faq987438943

kennyc
09-27-2010, 07:19 AM
That's funny because I'd forgotten how I imported books and just wen through this a few minutes ago. I finally went on their website and imported my books step by step. What I'd forgotten to do is go to the notification area and change the selection from "USB Mass Storage" to "Charge Only". On my old Droid 1 I believe the option said "Unmount".

http://www.aldiko.com/support.html#faq987438943

Yeah the whole "mounted drive" thing and the way it is handled on Android/Linux drives me crazy since I got my DroidX.

If I plug an SD card into my Windows PC there is no contention. I can read/write it from the computer it is on or from a networked computer etc.

Not the case with the phone sd card. :(
Guess Android/Linux just doesn't like to share. :)

Lo Zeno
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah the whole "mounted drive" thing and the way it is handled on Android/Linux drives me crazy since I got my DroidX.

If I plug an SD card into my Windows PC there is no contention. I can read/write it from the computer it is on or from a networked computer etc.

When Linux (but actually Windows works this way too) "mounts" a drive, it has an "exclusive" hold on the device's storage, that's why you need to "unmount" the SD card and "mount" it to Windows. Yes, when you choose "USB Mass Storage" you are actually unmounting it from Android and mounting it in Windows, so that windows has exclusive hold on your phone's MicroSD card. In fact, you can't access your SD card from Android while "USB Mass Storage" is active.

To follow your example, when you plug an SD card into your Windows PC, only your windows PC has direct access to it.

If you have a wireless network at home, you can get rid of the problem by installing SwiFTP from the Android Market, and using an FTP client on your PC: this makes the transfer of files to and from your Droid X as easy as dragging and dropping files, without the need to unmount anything (because by using FTP it's still your Droid X who has exclusive hold of its MicroSD, and your PC communicates with the Droid X, not the SD card).

kennyc
09-27-2010, 04:29 PM

To follow your example, when you plug an SD card into your Windows PC, only your windows PC has direct access to it.

Absolutely not true.

I can read and write to it from the pc it is plugged (mounted) into as well as from other networked computers.

RoboRay
09-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Absolutely not true.

I can read and write to it from the pc it is plugged (mounted) into as well as from other networked computers.

Absolutely is true. Those networked computers are NOT writing directly to your SD card... the computer it's mounted to is doing it, exactly the same as in the FTP case mentioned above.

Where he says "direct" access is the key factor. Only the machine it's mounted to can write to it. As most Android devices can't join your network and share the SD card as a network drive, you have to unmount it from the Android device and mount it to the PC first. The PC can share it as a network drive, so the other PCs on your network simply tell the one PC it's mounted to what to write. But, that doesn't change the fact that one and only one device has control over the SD card, and that's the one it's mounted to.

Dave_S
09-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Absolutely is true. Those networked computers are NOT writing directly to your SD card... the computer it's mounted to is doing it, exactly the same as in the FTP case mentioned above.

Where he says "direct" access is the key factor. Only the machine it's mounted to can write to it. As most Android devices can't join your network and share the SD card as a network drive, you have to unmount it from the Android device and mount it to the PC first. The PC can share it as a network drive, so the other PCs on your network simply tell the one PC it's mounted to what to write. But, that doesn't change the fact that one and only one device has control over the SD card, and that's the one it's mounted to.

You, of course, are absolutely correct. Consider the chaos that would ensue if more than one master had "direct" access to a slave device.
For a more on topic post, it appears that CoolReader 3 is just entering Alpha testing as an Android reading application, so there will be one more reader to consider soon.

SolRaven
09-28-2010, 02:31 AM

Yeah, it has me a little confused as well, like, what's the difference btwn "PC Mode" "Windows Media Sync" and "USB Mass Storage" as options when you plug it in? I just got used to "Mount" or "Unmount" on the Droid 1.

SolRaven
09-28-2010, 02:36 AM
If you have a wireless network at home, you can get rid of the problem by installing SwiFTP from the Android Market, and using an FTP client on your PC: this makes the transfer of files to and from your Droid X as easy as dragging and dropping files, without the need to unmount anything

Do I need separate program on my pc? My phone is set up to use the network via DNLA sync but I've only checked it out by viewing pics on my phone on my Samsung HDTV with apps. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

Lo Zeno
09-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Absolutely not true.

Actually, as RoboRay and Dave_S pointed out, it IS true. When you access your SD card "from other networked computers", your networked computers are just "talking" (allow me to use this word for sake of simplicity) to the one computer which has the SD mounted, and it is THAT computer who is reading/writing on the SD card.

If you try to use the FTP protocol, as I suggested you above, you'll be in the exact same situation: your Android device has the SD card mounted (so, exclusive rights) but through the FTP explorer your PC will "talk" to your Android and make him read/write files.

I know that from the user's point of view, all of this doesn't appear (the so-loved and so-called transparency), but it's how it actually happens :)

Lo Zeno
09-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Do I need separate program on my pc? My phone is set up to use the network via DNLA sync but I've only checked it out by viewing pics on my phone on my Samsung HDTV with apps. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

You need an FTP "server" (the SwiFTP app from the market) which will allow you to manipulate files in your Android, and an FTP "client" on your PC to access the "server".
If you have a linux distro, chances are that you already have an FTP client installed, if you have Windows I can suggest you to use FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/), the client version of course: it's free, constantly updated and very easy to use.

Dave_S
09-28-2010, 04:09 AM
You need an FTP "server" (the SwiFTP app from the market) which will allow you to manipulate files in your Android, and an FTP "client" on your PC to access the "server".
If you have a linux distro, chances are that you already have an FTP client installed, if you have Windows I can suggest you to use FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/), the client version of course: it's free, constantly updated and very easy to use.

Windows also has a built-in FTP client called "ftp", but it is a command line application. Your "FileZilla" recommendation is very likely more appropriate for an inexperienced user.:)

kennyc
09-28-2010, 05:55 AM

No. The point is that it is being done WRONG in the phone. In the example given I can access the SD card and modify files from both the pc where it is mounted and other pcs at the same time. ( I don't care how it is done or for explanations of why it doesn't work) Not the case when I connect the phone to my computer....suddenly the phone can't see the sd card! :smack:
If the windows situation were the same then the networked PCs couldn't see the windows "mounted" sd card. It's simply wrong.

Lo Zeno
09-28-2010, 07:02 AM
No. The point is that it is being done WRONG in the phone. In the example given I can access the SD card and modify files from both the pc where it is mounted and other pcs at the same time. ( I don't care how it is done or for explanations of why it doesn't work) Not the case when I connect the phone to my computer....suddenly the phone can't see the sd card! :smack:
If the windows situation were the same then the networked PCs couldn't see the windows "mounted" sd card. It's simply wrong.
(emphasis mine)

You are comparing apples and oranges: you can't expect a physical direct serial connection, like the USB cable, to behave like a network.
The difference between YOUR example of windows situation and what I wrote, is that you wrote about "Networked PCs", while you have never networked the Android phone and your PC. You connect them via USB cable, which is NOT networking at all. If you have a network, ONE device has control over the "SD drive", and all others communicate to the device through some sort of message-exchanging network; when you plug the USB cable from your android phone to your PC, unfortunately, there's no network involved: you have 2 computers (I include any smartphone under the name "computer"), both of which want direct, physical access to the SD card. You have to choose.

If you want to reproduce the same situation using 2 windows PC, try to buy an external SD card reader, and connect it to both PCs at the same time (assuming that you can), and try to use the SD card from both. You can't, simply: one of the two will tell you that the device is held by another hardware.

You want to access files from the SD card from both the Android phone and your PC? Network is the way to go, as in your windows example. And the FTP solution I wrote about is just that: a networking implementation that is compatible with both windows and Linux, and so it works.

Under the sheets, what happens (in both FTP and windows networks) is that ONE computing device has control of the memory device, and the other PCs "ask" the first to perform operations on his SD card.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
No, I'm saying how it should be. It's not.

(as I said above I don't want to hear excuses or explanations. I've been in this business long enough to have heard most of them already anyway. :) )

Lo Zeno
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
No, you've actually said how you thought it worked, twice, but anyway: I'm not saying that it could not have been made better, because it could. It is cumbersome, it can cause headaches, and it can cause more than a few problems (for example, if you receive a phone call while your MicroSD card is unmounted and your ringtone is an MP3 saved on your MicroSD, you have to fix ALL your ringtones once you re-mount your card).

But what I tried to do was not giving you excuses, but explaining how and why things works a certain way, and this just because once you know HOW things works, and WHY they do not do what you expect, you can find easier ways to patch them.
One example: once you know that you need a sort of network between devices to have something that looks like multiple access to a device, you know where to look for a solution, for example by opening the Android market and searching for "wifi file transfer" or "network file transfer" and finding this (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-grrzzz-remotefilefull-xzBz.aspx), or this (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.nextapp-websharing-pznj.aspx), or this (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-navjagpal-fileshare-xDqA.aspx) or this (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.org-swiftp-qmF.aspx).

I mean, once you (I'm using the impersonal you, not you as in you kennic) understand the mechanics, you know where to look for a possible fix/patch.
And while the apps linked above aren't the same thing as an (impossible to do) double physical management of the SD, it's the next best thing (and just as easy as accessing an SD via a networked PC).

kennyc
09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Irrelevant. I know how it works. As I said I've been in this business long enough to hear most excuses and apologies for why something doesn't work correctly. I gave you examples of how it should work, how it DOES work on a PC.

The way it works is wrong.

There is no reason it should be that way and it does cause problems as you indicate.

boswd
09-28-2010, 02:26 PM

yeah out of all the phones out there Droid X offers the best as well as the other 4 to 4.3 inch screens. I have the Nook app it's pretty sweet. Couldn't do alot of long marathon reading on it but for short term reading the screen of the Droid X is pretty amazing.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I did install the Kindle app and it's great as well.

RoboRay
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM

No. The point is that you simply do not understand how the technology has to work. Saying it should work some other way is pointless.

Irrelevant. I know how it works. As I said I've been in this business long enough to hear most excuses and apologies for why something doesn't work correctly. I gave you examples of how it should work, how it DOES work on a PC.

The way it works is wrong.

There is no reason it should be that way and it does cause problems as you indicate.

Imagine if your car, which must be driven only by the person "mounted" in the driver seat, suddenly began responding to direct commands from the "backseat driver" who wants to go somewhere else other than where you, as the "frontseat driver" want to go, and overriding your input?

That is how you are saying drives should work. It's clearly not how they should work. Your idea of how they should work would cause far worse problems than are caused by how they actually do work.

Note that you, as the car's driver, can listen to what the guy in the backseat says, and take him where he wants to go, but it's up to you, as the one and only one actual driver, to make those decisions and steer the car. That's your "networking" going on.

Are there shortcomings to how the technology works? Yes. Are they better than the alternatives? Yes.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
No. The point is that you simply do not understand how the technology has to work. Saying it should work some other way is pointless.

That is how you are saying SD cards should work. It's clearly not how they should work. Your idea of how they should work would cause far worse problems than are caused by how they actually do work.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
As I said I do understand exactly how it is working, I've probably been in this business since before you were born and have degrees in Electrical Engineer and Computer Science and am working in the field.

What I'm saying is that it is bad design and should not operate the way it does. And no it is not pointless. It's a problem, it's a bug, it's something that should work differently than it currently does. I don't give a rat's A4$ if that's the way it always has been, that doesn't make it right.

And no, working properly as I describe would not cause more problems. You are mistaken. I gave you an example of how an SD card works in a windows system. It should work the same way when I connect the phone via my usb cable. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's an SD card as you seem to think, it has to do with the way the operating system and the phone is managing it. It is a bad design.

RoboRay
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
When was I born? What degrees do I have? What field do I work in? You know nothing.

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend otherwise, but it's blatantly obvious that you do not actually understand the techonology you are discussing. You're like a child with his fingers stuck in his ears yelling "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"

It's not a bug. It's not a problem. It's total lack of user comprehension, compounded by willful ignorance in refusing to listen to those trying to explain it to you.

wodin
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

I understand how and why it works that way, I just think it could be implemented a little more seamlessly/intuitively.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
When was I born? What degrees do I have? What field do I work in? You know nothing.

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend otherwise, but it's blatantly obvious that you do not actually understand the techonology you are discussing. You're like a child with his fingers stuck in his ears yelling "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"

It's not a bug. It's not a problem. It's total lack of user comprehension, compounded by willful ignorance in refusing to listen to those trying to explain it to you.

:smack:

I probably should report this post, but I'm not going to.

As I said in the beginning (as an aside to the actual topic of this thread) that fact that it manages the SD Card as is does is just plain wrong in my opinion. I've provided examples of other systems handling it better. I'll stand by that.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I understand how and why it works that way, I just think it could be implemented a little more seamlessly/intuitively.

Yes, I understand, but am just not happy with it. It's a bad design. As someone mentioned if you get a call while usb has the sd card mounted it can totally screw up your ring-tones etc.

RoboRay
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
I've provided examples of other systems handling it better. I'll stand by that.

No, you have not. That you actually think you have demonstrates your lack of understanding, and underscores your unwillingness to listen to those who are trying in good faith to help you understand.

The examples you have provided are of computer networks. A USB cable is not a computer network, no matter how much you think it should be.

Report away! I've said nothing innapropriate. I don't think anyone else reading this thread will disagree with my statement that you are indulging in willful ignorance. Such a statement is not insulting... It's simply sad that it has to be said.

wodin
09-28-2010, 04:25 PM
The examples you have provided are of computer networks. A USB cable is not a computer network, no matter how much you think it should be.

No, but properly implemented it could be; and should be. The cludgy interface that we have now only illustrates a lack of desire to make it so.

Whatís wrong with leaving the card mounted on the phone, and the PC talking to the phone to request reads and writes when the phone determines that itís safe to do so? Just like networks do now!

kennyc
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
No, but properly implemented it could be; and should be. The cludgy interface that we have now only illustrates a lack of desire to make it so.

Whatís wrong with leaving the card mounted on the phone, and the PC talking to the phone to request reads and writes when the phone determines that itís safe to do so? Just like networks do now!

Exactly. The way it works now actually causes problems from what I see -- from simply being annoying at the lowest level, to actually changing your configuration (if you receive a call while connected and using sdcard stored ringtones).

kennyc
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
No, you have not. That you actually think you have demonstrates your lack of understanding, and underscores your unwillingness to listen to those who are trying in good faith to help you understand.

As I've said and explained. I understand exactly the technology involved, I simply disagree with the implementation.

RoboRay
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
:smack:

Then go ahead and implement it the way you feel it should be, since you know so much more about this subject than the people who are actually designing and building the devices, and you've probably worked in this field longer than they've all been alive, too.

Good luck with that. Be sure to keep us informed with status updates as you go.

kennyc
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Will do.

N13L5
10-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah, it has me a little confused as well, like, what's the difference btwn "PC Mode" "Windows Media Sync" and "USB Mass Storage" as options when you plug it in? I just got used to "Mount" or "Unmount" on the Droid 1.

Under the covers, its the same for other phones, but often, a phone device driver you can install for the phone will take care of it and make the mounting invisible to you.

like PC Suite for Symbian phones: If you plug the USB cable from the phone into your PC, you get a dialog on the phone how you want to use the connection "mass storage" or "PC Sync" etc. either item you choose, the card becomes unavailable to the phone, and available to the PC.
(its unmounting it on the phone and mounting it on the PC)

This also works without a specific driver, though only in mass storage mode, but the logic for unmounting can reside on the phone and windows will attempt to auto-mount anyway, so long as its not locked from still being mounted on the phone.

It should be easy for an Android manufacturer or even any 3rd party developer to design a USB utility that takes care of that smartly and invisibly.

I guess Bloatorola forgot about ease of use on that detail, cause they were busy making bloatware for telcos to make sure they have a sales channel :rofl:

N13L5
10-02-2010, 12:59 AM
uhh... didn't realize this thread had turned into a bloodbath, since I responded to one of the early posts...:eek:

Was gonna say "don't fight over symantics" but err, what is there on a forum besides symantics to express things :blink:

Well, most manufacturers have managed to make this whole issue invisible to users at the cost of installing a ridiculous 90MB bloatware suite on your PC. And then the connection so artificially slow you're wondering if your data is taking a detour over the internet *FAIL*

Cool would be if phones had an SD slot that ejects the card after pressing a button in the OS, like Mac CD drives won't spit out the CD until its done with it.

I normally hated it not to be able to just yank the CD if the Mac was hanging on bad sectors.

But on phones, it would be nice not having to use your fingernails to get your SD card out...

:offtopic:
what was this thread about? Oh eReaders...

I'd like my eReader not to do TOO MUCH... I don't want it to go online everytime I start it, to try and entice to buy more crap. I don't want an eReader to try and sort my library, I can sort my stuff in folders the way I want, tyvm.

That Barns & Noble eReader took so long so start up and do its own thing, by the time I could open my book, I was out of time to read.

I wonder if having an integrated dictionary is part of what makes it so slow.
Symbian might be another reason, or Java, or some bad programming choices. Its not my phone, that's got a 1Ghz processor that seems utterly wasted on this OS.

Just this morning, I got an email from Samsung with an offical notice that they're ending support for Symbian in December! Given that my i8910 is only 1 year old, I hope they provide an option to switch to Android, or at least Windoze Phone 7. I'd pay them $100 to let me switch it to Android :smack:

DMcCunney
10-02-2010, 01:22 AM
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet...
The FBReader version for Android is FBReaderJ. It's a port of FBReader to Java, and lags the PC version in features.

Cause I use it on my computer, and its got total overkill in choices on how you want to look at your books, from size to alignment to indentation, any font you got installed, it'll use, you can increase or decrease margins, and make any custom keyboard shortcuts imaginable.
I use it here, with the key attractions being support for ePub, Mobi, and Plucker files, and the fact that it's cross platform and there are versions for Windows and Linux.

(My standard ebook reader is the open source Plucker offline HTML viewer on a Palm OS device, and I roll my own ebooks by converting HTML source. I have about 4,000 documents in Plucker format, and being able to read them outside of Plucker was a major win.)

Have any of you tried Barns and noble's eReader application, or is there no Android version yet?
<...>

However, its got one brilliant feature: if you have a supported dictionary installed, you get a lookup right in your book, without having to leave or even change pages.
Are you aware of any other readers that have that?
MobiReader has a lookup feature if you have a compatible dictionary installed, but it's specific to MobiPocket formatted documents.
______
Dennis

kennyc
10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Yea, back on topic. :)

qwerty57
10-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Moon+ reader has been upgraded and now read epub files. It's still very slow when loading HTML files, but seems to be just a quick as Aldiko when loading epub files.

I like the way it can read books from any file, not just it's own dedicated ebook file, and all of the other features seem to be as good as Aldiko, so I'm giving it a try now.

twobits
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM

Indeed, USB assumes a dumb device on one end and a controlling system on the other. In addition the commonly used file systems don't support multiple writers at all, even without the caching isues. I wish firewire had won, at least it was peer to peer. Though last time I saw a drive that worked with multi-writers was VMS clusters.... and SCSI drives on minis.

Maybe they should not have offered the options of 'mounting' the device as a usb storage device? That would solve the issue in what is probably the only feasable way over a usb cable and windows pc file ssytems. They could just run a fileserver on the device and make you use the wireless I suppose.

jethro10
10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Wow, i'm back here after a while, now with my Android phone and look at a thread about Electronic Readers for my shiny new phone.
so far i've learned people will fall out over e-reader v's ebook reader nomenclature
and there more bullshit about how USB/Memory Cards work or don't.
Who gives a toss about either in a thread about Android E(book) readers. Shame...

Anyone actually got any info on the given subject?
Like why I can't find nook reader for my phone?
Is it because I'm in the UK and it's blocked?

Ta
Jeff

bjones6416
10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Anyone actually got any info on the given subject?
Like why I can't find nook reader for my phone?
Is it because I'm in the UK and it's blocked?

Ta
Jeff

Hmm, I wonder if it IS a geographic thing. I just searched on the word NOOK in the Android Market on my phone and immediately came up with Nook for Android. Do you get any choices at all when you do that?

I started the thread because I was so pleased with Aldiko as a reader on my phone. I still like it a lot. I recommend you give it a try if you can't find Nook, or something you like better. It looks really good on my phone. :thumbsup:

mgmueller
10-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Hmm, I wonder if it IS a geographic thing. I just searched on the word NOOK in the Android Market on my phone and immediately came up with Nook for Android. Do you get any choices at all when you do that?

I started the thread because I was so pleased with Aldiko as a reader on my phone. I still like it a lot. I recommend you give it a try if you can't find Nook, or something you like better. It looks really good on my phone. :thumbsup:

Didn't find it either (Germany). Fortunately, I found a link to the file in the cloud here somewhere.
Will add the link asap.

jethro10
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

It finds two competitive readers, so must be doing something.
As it's not also in Germany, I'll assume it's geographic.
thanks
Jefff

mgmueller
10-14-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't find it in the market, so do others.
So here's the link where I've got it: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's labeled "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk".

BTW: You have to use VPN of course, to purchase books from B&N. But else it's working fine.

jethro10
10-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I didn't find it in the market, so do others.
So here's the link where I've got it: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's labeled "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk".

thanks, at least i can have a look at it now!

J

qwerty57
10-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I couldn't get the import feature to work either, but if I open an epub with my file manager, it asks me which program to open it with & I choose Aldiko. Then it imports the file for me!

kennyc
10-16-2010, 08:15 AM
I am able to drag/drop files to the Aldiko import directory and then import them with the app. It is an extra step I really don't care for though. I'd prefer to just have an ebook directory that could be used by any of my ebook reader apps.

Dave_S
10-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I couldn't get the import feature to work either, but if I open an epub with my file manager, it asks me which program to open it with & I choose Aldiko. Then it imports the file for me!

The ONLY place Aldiko will import from is it's own import directory on the SDcard. The path on the SDcard is ebooks/import