View Full Version : My nook hates my .gif files.

EricDP
09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I've got a bunch of epubs I've created with gifs in them. I just got a nook and whenever I get to a page with one of my gifs in it, the reader freezes for a minute then goes back to my book list screen. Oddly, I can take the exact same gif and make it my nook wallpaper, so it can render the image.

Has anybody seen this before? :blink:

epubs pass validation...

theducks
09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I've got a bunch of epubs I've created with gifs in them. I just got a nook and whenever I get to a page with one of my gifs in it, the reader freezes for a minute then goes back to my book list screen. Oddly, I can take the exact same gif and make it my nook wallpaper, so it can render the image.

Has anybody seen this before? :blink:

epubs pass validation...

do the good GIF's and the bad GIF's have a "transparency" difference (other things had problems with this in the past) (you will need an Image editor/properties viewer to tell the diff.)

EricDP
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
do the good GIF's and the bad GIF's have a "transparency" difference (other things had problems with this in the past) (you will need an Image editor/properties viewer to tell the diff.)
I'm not sure I understand, but all seem to be 'bad' gifs in they're in a book, and all seem to be 'good' gifs if I use them as wallpaper or screensaver.

I guess my question is: do other people have gifs in books that the nook can render? If so, then maybe it something about how I created them (using GIMP). Or is it simply that nook doesn't support gifs in books?

These books work fine in Calibre, Firefox EPUB viewer, ADE on Windows and Linux (via WINE), and Sigil.

Also worth noting: my nook is running firmware 1.4.1.

Adjust
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't know, but to be honest, I convert all my images to .jpeg file, why?
Because I know they work. I don't even mess around with different image formats...

EricDP
09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know, but to be honest, I convert all my images to .jpeg file, why?
Because I know they work. I don't even mess around with different image formats...
That's a fair statement and worth considering. The challenge I have is I'm working on a book with a lot of images. Using gif and an 8-color palette I can make the files literally half the size without losing any quality. If I make jpgs the same (file) size, then the quality is terrible. Right now, the book with gifs is ~5.5MB and the one with the same images converted to jpgs is >10MB.

Attached is a test file. It has one of the gifs that's a problem at page 10. It also has a jpg and a png that were converted from the gif. They work fine. For me, the book works until you get to page 9 - the page before the gif. Then it crashes back to my book list. I'm interested to hear if others with a nook have the same experience, or if it's just mine. Maybe a firmware 1.4.1 problem or something.

kovidgoyal
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Use a 8bit png ADE tends to choke on gifs

theducks
09-09-2010, 01:16 AM
That's a fair statement and worth considering. The challenge I have is I'm working on a book with a lot of images. Using gif and an 8-color palette I can make the files literally half the size without losing any quality. If I make jpgs the same (file) size, then the quality is terrible. Right now, the book with gifs is ~5.5MB and the one with the same images converted to jpgs is >10MB.

Attached is a test file. It has one of the gifs that's a problem at page 10. It also has a jpg and a png that were converted from the gif. They work fine. For me, the book works until you get to page 9 - the page before the gif. Then it crashes back to my book list. I'm interested to hear if others with a nook have the same experience, or if it's just mine. Maybe a firmware 1.4.1 problem or something.

Well I loaded it on my Astak Pocket Pro.
It does no show the last image. It does not hang or hit the floor :p

Paint Shop pro 8 does not say anything different about the 2, :chinscratch:

EricDP
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Use a 8bit png ADE tends to choke on gifs
Yes, I guess that's what I'll resort to. I had originally tried 8-colour (3-bit) pngs, but that also seemed to cause some problems. Maybe they just don't like indexed images. Fortunately, the 8-bit (grayscale) png is only a little bit bigger, and doesn't sacrifice quality. The book is now 6.0MB, up from 5.3MB, which is a lot better than the 10MB version with jpgs.

Thanks!