View Full Version : varying epub sizes

jjansen
09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
This is a quick question just for my own enlightenment. I have a lot of epubs that were created from pdfs and converted with Calibre. They are basically full size novels. The average size is well under 500k, often around 250k. I have recently been reading a lot of epubs from the library and they range in size from 1M to 2.5M. They don't have images, other than the cover page. They appear to have around the same number of pages of simple text as any novel.

It is very consistent that the library epubs average a good 3 - 4 times the size of my Calibre created epubs. Anyone have a clue why this would be?

Jackie :chinscratch:

dynabook
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Embedded fonts?

theducks
09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
This is a quick question just for my own enlightenment. I have a lot of epubs that were created from pdfs and converted with Calibre. They are basically full size novels. The average size is well under 500k, often around 250k. I have recently been reading a lot of epubs from the library and they range in size from 1M to 2.5M. They don't have images, other than the cover page. They appear to have around the same number of pages of simple text as any novel.

It is very consistent that the library epubs average a good 3 - 4 times the size of my Calibre created epubs. Anyone have a clue why this would be?

Jackie :chinscratch:
sloppy coding (or conversion)? Thousands of div's, spans that are not simple/clean :eek:

You, just do good work ;) ?

charleski
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Embedded fonts?

This is usually the reason. The full Charis font is 1.6MB for each weight and style. Publishers tend to bung it in because it covers the entire unicode range.