View Full Version : Anyone else's new Kindle 3 rattling when moved / shaken?

judith009
08-29-2010, 01:34 PM
It sounds like there's some kind of loose tiny plastic piece rolling around on the inside of my new K3. If I rock it back and forth I can hear the piece rattling around in there, and it sounds like it has a lot of space to roll.

Does anybody else notice this with their K3? I just want to know if it's only mine. Btw it's definitely not the sound of the buttons on the bottom of the device shaking, because although I know they make a small sound when the device is moved, this rattling sound that I'm talking about is much louder, and it is very evident that something is loose and rolling around inside the device.

Besides that I'm loving the new Kindle, except for the fact that it crashes so many times. . .

Corran006
08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
mine does not do that, Mine has crashed one.

TheKindleWorm
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
It sounds like there's some kind of loose tiny plastic piece rolling around on the inside of my new K3. If I rock it back and forth I can hear the piece rattling around in there, and it sounds like it has a lot of space to roll.

Does anybody else notice this with their K3? I just want to know if it's only mine. Btw it's definitely not the sound of the buttons on the bottom of the device shaking, because although I know they make a small sound when the device is moved, this rattling sound that I'm talking about is much louder, and it is very evident that something is loose and rolling around inside the device.

Besides that I'm loving the new Kindle, except for the fact that it crashes so many times. . .

Oh dear it sounds faulty - both the fact that it is rattling and the constant crashing too. My kindle 2 has crashed just once in almost a year so somethings not right :( I would contact Amazon regarding a replacement.

JoeC
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
No rattling here. Sounds like a defective unit.

alism
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes mine does that. At the moment whatever it is seems to have found a resting place but there is something definetly lose inside that rolls around. I noticed it the first day after maybe the 4th or 5th time picking it up during the day.

My kindle hasn't crashed but at one point when I was typing the s key kept typing until I moved the kindle and whatever is inside rolled away.

BlooOfKingu
08-29-2010, 03:35 PM
same here. something was rolling around inside for the first few hours of use, but seems to have stopped now.

no crashes, however.

judith009
08-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks alot for the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but also it sounds like it's not everybody. Also, for the record, I definitely haven't dropped it or rough-handled it... You know how it goes - we treat it like a delicate piece of art for the first few weeks or so, before we start getting less careful with it! :)

I am very surprised that not everybody has the crashes. I always just assumed it was firmware bugs. Mine is so bad that I can never open the web browser, but I've seen that problem elsewhere on this forum. Yesterday it restarted just from me highlighting something. The worst part is that whenever it randomly restarts, somehow it forgets where I was in the book, and then I have to skip forward a bunch of pages until I find my spot again.

Mike 01Hawk
08-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I'd contact Amazon for a free replacement.

Which makes me wonder, I wonder just HOW many replacements they're keeping on hand just for this scenario.... one of them could be shipping to my house right meow instead of mid September! :mad:

judith009
08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd contact Amazon for a free replacement.

Which makes me wonder, I wonder just HOW many replacements they're keeping on hand just for this scenario.... one of them could be shipping to my house right meow instead of mid September! :mad:

That was a good point. I doubt they would make people with defective units wait until mid-Sept for the replacement, but you never know. I'm glad mine is still mostly functional, so if I decide to replace it I'd probably wait for a couple of weeks anyway. Before I had gotten it, I was very excited about the web-browser feature, and the fact that the browser won't even open is a big bummer. Maybe they'll have some kind of a firmware update for that, though.

Another point, and I don't know if it matters, is that I pre-ordered the Kindle within a couple of hours of the announcement. I wonder if the others who have rattling Kindles also were one of the first to place orders...

Lupa
08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I maybe wrong (never owned a Kindle) but some accelerometer's can make a rattle, does the screen change to landscape automatically? I would not like to risk it though if I had mine, although you could be waiting to get a replacement.

Edited: After checking and reading judith009 next post I was wrong, I must have thought the K3 would have one due to the Kindle DX having one.

judith009
08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I maybe wrong (never owned a Kindle) but some accelerometer's can make a rattle, does the screen change to landscape automatically? I would not like to risk it though if I had mine, although you could be waiting to get a replacement.

The Kindle 3 doesn't have an accelerometer. Either way, the amount of movement that the loose piece makes shows that it's obviously a defect.

Amazon has the best customer support. Even if I wanted to exchange it now, if they didn't have a replacement unit until mid-September, they would let me keep this Kindle until they get their replacements in, so I wouldn't ever be without a Kindle. I just wish other stores were as friendly as Amazon! Amazon would probably even ship the replacement with expedited shipping.

dwig
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
... I am very surprised that not everybody has the crashes. I always just assumed it was firmware bugs. Mine is so bad that I can never open the web browser, but I've seen that problem elsewhere on this forum. Yesterday it restarted just from me highlighting something. The worst part is that whenever it randomly restarts, somehow it forgets where I was in the book, and then I have to skip forward a bunch of pages until I find my spot again.

Sounds like a bug, but you might read this report:

http://blogkindle.com/2010/08/kindle-3-review-follow-up/

They seem to feel one crashing issue involves the Kindle's "text indexing":

"Some users reported problems with browser or apps. Kindle software would occasionally crash. It is generally believed that itís caused by background indexing process running alongside browser. Whenever new book, text file or document is downloaded to Kindle, it is indexed to provide almost instantaneous search results. This process is resource intensive and may conflict with web-browser or word game applications that are available for Kindle."

They go on to say that indexing a large number of books, like the 100's many new users download or sideload day one, can take a very long time (several hours).

judith009
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info and the link. I only have about 15 books, and some of them very small, so I'd be surprised if the numerous crashes that I've had over 3 days (I've had the K3 since Thursday) is due to the indexing. It was a good point, though.

I'm just hoping that Amazon rolls out firmware updates quickly. I have a feeling that they're at least much faster than Apple in regards to fixing bugs. If I find that most others don't have this problem of crashing, then I'll probably exchange the unit in a couple of weeks.

jough
08-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Mine is making that rattling sound too. I requested a refund and received an email back saying that I'd have to call to get a replacement after going through troubleshooting with the CSR.

Sounds like a defect if mine's not the only one. Everything seems to work despite the rattle, although the web browser does crash a lot (I should say, I've never been able to get a web page to load in it).

blackbow
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Yep, mine is doing that too; sounds like a tiny screw loose inside the keyboard area. I called support today, and they're sending me a replacement via FedEx. Keeping my fingers crossed that the second one has no problems.

osnova
09-02-2010, 02:27 PM
You got me worried. I started frantically shaking my baby... K3. Phew! No rattling here.

Tiersten
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
No rattling here.

TenaciousBadger
09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
you're really bad on my confidence guys. now i'm waiting on tenterhooks and keeping my fingers crossed everything will be in good order when it gets here :sweatdrop :worried2:

Tiersten
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
you're really bad on my confidence guys. now i'm waiting on tenterhooks and keeping my fingers crossed everything will be in good order when it gets here :sweatdrop :worried2:
Its at most an annoyance since Amazon seem to be very good at shipping you out a replacement quickly so don't worry.

TenaciousBadger
09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
i'm nnnnn... can't say the word l-o-l :D
as proven, i'm a worrier by nature...

Got2LoveGadgets
09-02-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm so glad to find other people are having the same "rattling" problem as me. I spoke to kindle support after unpacking my device to hear it rattling. They sent me out a new kindle which arrived today and guess what it also rattles phoned the support guys and they sounded surprised. I cant really be that unlucky this must be a big problem just can't understand why its not being reported more for such a popular device. I am an IT manager and own most gadgets going this is definitely a manufacturing flaw

judith009
09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I've decided to create a support group for people who are having this problem. I think I'll call it "Rattlers Anonymous". PM me if you want to join.

grf
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Just noticed my rattle today! I fiddled with the spacebar & that seemed to mitigate it a bit, but it's still there. I may give customer service a call tomorrow. If so, I'll report back.

Sonny Blount
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I noticed the rattle one of the first times I picked up my new kindle. Definitely a very small piece loose, after a few shakes it seems to have lodged somewhere and I have had no crashes after 3 days of heavy use.

I don't really want to, but I am considering getting a precautionary replacement.

Viseguy
09-03-2010, 12:16 AM
No rattling here. It's one of the first things I checked for.

warp
09-03-2010, 03:20 AM
just received my kindle - it's wonderful. no rattling, nothing noisy at all. seems to be in perfect shape. i'm at work at the moment therefore I cann check everything but I'm happy that the club of owners with damaged kindles seems to be small...

Got2LoveGadgets
09-03-2010, 06:57 AM
This is now a know fault and has effected a small batch according to Kindle support all faulty units will be replaced but they suggest waiting a few weeks as you may end up with another faulty unit like I did

judith009
09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Is there any evidence yet that the loose piece is related to the crashing? Whoever talks to Kindle support next, can you please ask them?

jol12
09-03-2010, 07:19 AM
I've just received two kindles: 3G+WIFI and WIFI only. The one with Wifi only is rattling.

judith009
09-03-2010, 07:24 AM
My rattling K3 is wifi only too

alism
09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for letting us know. I only had one problem with a letter kept typing. My kindle did reboot twice but I don't think that had anything to do with the rattling. I haven't heard the rattling for the last few days so the piece must have lodged somewhere.

I was worried that even though it seems to not really have any problems right now whatever is loose in there would cause problems later on. I didn't want to return it right now because 1. didn't know if I would get a replacement right away and 2. didn't want another kindle with the same problem.

My kindle is a wifi only also.

babyd
09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
mine has frozen twice and rebooted once in three days, but I have no rattle, so I don't think its related......

grf
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Mine is also a WiFi version, and doubles as a maraca. I can throw some Miami Sound Machine on the mp3 player and go to town.

Sounds pretty widespread, so I think I may register my issue with C/S but hold off on a replacement until they figure out which batches are affected, or address the issue in manufacturing.

judith009
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Miami sound machine? Let me guess, you must be over 50. My dad used to listen to them! :)

grf
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Miami sound machine? Let me guess, you must be over 50. My dad used to listen to them! :)

Bzzt. Incorrect. :D
I'm not much of a fan really, but maracas galore.

I wonder how many people over 50 have adopted e-readers. I know my stepmother has, but I'll bet that's a tough market to crack with gadgets.

Anyhow... :offtopic:

cvkemp
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I am over 60 and I have always loved computers and gadgets just not able to afford that many. I have lots of friends my age that have iphones and ebook readers. It is our big thing to not have to carry around a lot of dead wood.

Chuck

judith009
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, but do you listen to Miami Sound Machine?

(Sorry! That was my last off-topic post, I promise) :)

robb01
09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I am over 60 and I have always loved computers and gadgets just not able to afford that many. I have lots of friends my age that have iphones and ebook readers. It is our big thing to not have to carry around a lot of dead wood.

Chuck

One of the best aspects for me too :)

vega07
09-05-2010, 01:52 AM
mine rattles too. it sounds horrible. I called customer service and they are sending me a new one.

DiapDealer
09-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I wonder how many people over 50 have adopted e-readers. I know my stepmother has, but I'll bet that's a tough market to crack with gadgets.
Don't kid yourself... the Kindle has a HUGE "over 50" market. ;)

havaloc
09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I took mine apart. There was a tiny screw loose just rolling around. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart though, there's a lot that can go wrong. I took it apart and pulled the ribbon out and I thought I broke the Kindle ( I wasn't aware that I had done it at the time ). I took it apart again and plugged the ribbon back in. Good as new.

No freezes or anything yet, before or after disassembly.

judith009
09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I took mine apart. There was a tiny screw loose just rolling around. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart though, there's a lot that can go wrong. I took it apart and pulled the ribbon out and I thought I broke the Kindle ( I wasn't aware that I had done it at the time ). I took it apart again and plugged the ribbon back in. Good as new.

No freezes or anything yet, before or after disassembly.

That's awesome. Thanks for doing the experiment for us.

Is there any indication of where the screw should have been? Maybe there's an area on the motherboard that's missing a screw? Are all of the screws inside the same size, so that that loose screw looks just like the rest of them?

Thanks

havaloc
09-05-2010, 11:15 PM
There were several empty places where it could have belonged to (screw holes, if you will). I suspect they had a screw put in where there was no threads, perhaps. I didn't spend too much time looking for it though, since I was thrilled not to have a broken Kindle anymore. Looks like all the screws were the same size.

That's awesome. Thanks for doing the experiment for us.

Is there any indication of where the screw should have been? Maybe there's an area on the motherboard that's missing a screw? Are all of the screws inside the same size, so that that loose screw looks just like the rest of them?

Thanks

judith009
09-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Do you think there's any danger in leaving the screw to roll around in there? Is there any reason to get a rattling kindle exchanged?

Tiersten
09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Do you think there's any danger in leaving the screw to roll around in there?
Yes. It may permanently damage the Kindle.

Is there any reason to get a rattling kindle exchanged?
For one thing, the extra crashes caused by this would be annoying just by itself.

havaloc
09-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I think it could short out connections, which isn't good.

Do you think there's any danger in leaving the screw to roll around in there? Is there any reason to get a rattling kindle exchanged?

Got2LoveGadgets
09-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Both my faulty units have been the wifi version. I'm surprised how lightly Amazon are getting off with this fault especially when you think how popular the device is. If this fault was in say the new Ipad there would be total uproar

judith009
09-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Both my faulty units have been the wifi version. I'm surprised how lightly Amazon are getting off with this fault especially when you think how popular the device is. If this fault was in say the new Ipad there would be total uproar

I agree with you about the iPad thing, but also the customer service from Amazon is way better than that from Apple. Amazon shows that it respects it's customers, whereas Apple shows that they just want money. For example, many times when an iPod gets a bad bug, we hear no comment from Apple for months. They won't even recognize the problem. (The antenna issue with the iPhone 4 was different because it was so highly publicized by their competitors, that they were forced to make a statement). Amazon, on the other hand, is very willing to admit when there is a problem, and they are always on the customers' side, and they try to release bug fixes asap. Whereas we see that amazon is exchanging these units without causing trouble, Apple is always ready to lay the blame on the customer whenever possible. At least that's my experience of them. Amazon's great customer service policies are one of the reasons why I chose the Kindle over any other brand ereader.

When a company respects their customers, the customers respect them back.

pboss
09-06-2010, 08:58 AM
You guys got me worried. Has it been officially confirmed that only the wifi version has this problem? How many units are affected?

sirmaru
09-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Mine doesn't rattle but after I took it to Church it started to do repetitive resets until I allowed to rest flat on a table for half an hour.

It appears it is sensitive to motion. I also have a WiFi. When I had it in motion, it was vertical in my jacket pocket. Horizontal position at rest seemed to end the problem.

Amazon is sending me a replacement to be here on Wednesday, Sep 8, 2010.

I hope the new one doesn't have the same problem. I was bragging about it in Church but lost all the effect when it kept resetting.

From this thread it appears ALL the first shipments of WiFi's had this problem.

My Serial Number starts with: B008A0A003

My Software version is: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

Please post the first 7 digits of your serial numbers and software versions. It may connect a lot of dots.

Rave
09-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Lol, what's the problem? Open the Kindle, remove the screw and put it back together. You can't do anything wrong...

Watch Daves video, if you don't know how to open a Kindle 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD-wPmowR-Y

Good Luck :)

desertblues
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM
I have a Kindle 3 with 3G. Serialnumber starts with B00AA0A. Software 3.0 (515460094). Also ordered one very early. No rattles or other trouble. Couldn't connect to PC at first, but after contact with Amazon (excellent service) and reset by holding the on/off button for 15 sec. everything works perfectly. Loaded about 300 books via Calibre.

judith009
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I was bragging about it in Church but lost all the effect when it kept resetting.

:) That's what you get for bragging in Church! LOL

sirmaru
09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a Kindle 3 with 3G. Serialnumber starts with B00AA0A. Software 3.0 (515460094). Also ordered one very early. No rattles or other trouble. Couldn't connect to PC at first, but after contact with Amazon (excellent service) and reset by holding the on/off button for 15 sec. everything works perfectly. Loaded about 300 books via Calibre.

You have B00AA instead of the unlucky B008A for the first 5 digits of your serical number. Plus, you have 3G instead of WiFi.

You're in great shape. The rest of us are under water. You paid 50 bucks more but money DOES TALK.

judith009
09-06-2010, 09:43 AM
My serial number also starts with b008a, same firmware version, and mine is also rattling (i'm the OP). I was one of the first to order a K3, having placed the order within 2 hours of the anouncement. I wonder then if it's only the b008a units...

Forgot to mention: Mine is Wifi only. Also, are we sure that all of the wifi units don't start with b008a? Because otherwise that would mess up our data...

sirmaru
09-06-2010, 09:46 AM
My serial number also starts with b008a, same firmware version, and mine is also rattling (i'm the OP). I was one of the first to order a K3, having placed the order within 2 hours of the anouncement. I wonder then if it's only the b008a units...

Forgot to mention: Mine is Wifi only. Also, are we sure that all of the wifi units don't start with b008a? Because otherwise that would mess up our data...

That makes two of us. B008A looks like the bad lot. I just hope my replacement isn't part of that lot.................

See if the first 10 digits are: B008A0A003

I really do want to brag about it again in Church. LOL.

Erinath
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
From this thread it appears ALL the first shipments of WiFi's had this problem.

My Serial Number starts with: B008A0A

My Software version is: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

Please post the first 7 digits of your serial numbers and software versions. It may connect a lot of dots.
I have one of the first shipment wifi Kindles, same software version, serial number starts the same - no rattling at all here. It has crashed, but that's if I use the browser to enter secure sites, and I don't need it to do that.

sirmaru
09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I have one of the first shipment wifi Kindles, same software version, serial number starts the same - no rattling at all here. It has crashed, but that's if I use the browser to enter secure sites, and I don't need it to do that.

Try walking a mile with it in your pocket. See if it resets when turning it on after the walk.

If I leave mine resting horizontally at home, there is no problem. After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.

Tiersten
09-06-2010, 10:20 AM
You know that B008 is the prefix for Kindle WiFi right? It isn't a "bad lot" as you're claiming that every Kindle WiFi on the planet is broken. Even the 3G+WiFi models are all B00?A0A so this isn't conclusive at all.

Until there are more identifying details for this alleged problem, you're just causing people to panic for no reason.

Rave
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.
Maybe you shouldn't go to the church and read a good book instead...

Tiersten
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Physical hardware difference between a Kindle WiFi and a Kindle 3G+WiFi only appears to be that the 3G mini PCIe card is not installed on a Kindle WiFi. Everything else seems to be exactly the same and present even if not used like the 3G antenna. Amazon may have used a different production line when producing the two different models but hardware is identical.

Erinath
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Try walking a mile with it in your pocket. See if it resets when turning it on after the walk.

If I leave mine resting horizontally at home, there is no problem. After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.

I would not walk that far with a Kindle loose in my pocket.

It would be nice if you can simply accept that whilst yours is playing up, not everybody else's is.

judith009
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe you shouldn't go to the church and read a good book instead...

You mean the Bible? :)

Rave
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, for example...or the Qur'an, the Torah, the Bhagavad Gita...there are many great fantasy books...

sirmaru
09-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Its TRUE. My unit had the KJV and NET loaded on it.

Could GOD have gotten upset that I bragged about a DEVICE instead of Him?

LOL.

judith009
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Let's agree to get back on topic from here... Otherwise this could get way off...

poundfool
09-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a Kindle 3G that was rattling due to a loose screw. I re-fastened the screw to a mainboard mounting point located between the serial number label and the audio chip.

Internal assembly (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=452&pictureid=3250)

plantoschka
09-07-2010, 12:53 AM
My Volume control on the bottom of the device is a bit loose and is rattling when i play around with it.

Is it normal?

Tiersten
09-07-2010, 01:12 AM
My Volume control on the bottom of the device is a bit loose and is rattling when i play around with it.
It does move around a little and make a quiet rattling noise if you shake the entire Kindle. I'm not sure whether it is the same as yours though. It doesn't feel like it will fall out or is broken.

ecostin
09-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Dare opening the device, use the info here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97267 but try to use some plastic tools in order not to scratch it. I have found out that all the small dark gray screws are not fastened as they should. One was already traveling, while most of the others were almost loose, waiting to join the first one in creating funny sparks and freezing, or even permanently damaging, the reader. After fastening all the crews, there is no rattle anymore and no freezing. There's no warranty voiding label one might damage in the process, so, if you mess up, go get a replacement.

sirmaru
09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Dare opening the device, use the info here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97267 but try to use some plastic tools in order not to scratch it. I have found out that all the small dark gray screws are not fastened as they should. One was already traveling, while most of the others were almost loose, waiting to join the first one in creating funny sparks and freezing, or even permanently damaging, the reader. After fastening all the crews, there is no rattle anymore and no freezing. There's no warranty voiding label one might damage in the process, so, if you mess up, go get a replacement.

If you open and fix the K3 yourself, doesn't that invalidate the warranty? Most product have that proviso in the warranty agreement.

Lawcheehung
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
If you open and fix the K3 yourself, doesn't that invalidate the warranty? Most product have that proviso in the warranty agreement.

You never did open it. ;)

babyd
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
my power switch has a slight rattle on my 3G, our wifi one is fine.

plantoschka
09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
It does move around a little and make a quiet rattling noise if you shake the entire Kindle. I'm not sure whether it is the same as yours though. It doesn't feel like it will fall out or is broken.

Someone other told me that his Kindle 3 Volume Button is solid and not rattling...
So is it normal or not? ;)

Tiersten
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Someone other told me that his Kindle 3 Volume Button is solid and not rattling...
So is it normal or not? ;)
I wouldn't call the movement on my Kindle volume button to be loose. You can move it side to side and up and down only a fraction of a mm. Think the width of a sheet of paper. The "rattling" noise I can only hear if I've got the Kindle up next to my ear.

If your Kindle button is moving more than that then it might be broken.

Tiersten
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Generally yes. If you take something apart then that normally invalidates the warranty.

I wouldn't personally risk taking the Kindle apart if you want to keep the warranty. If you leave marks on the case from prying it open or marks inside then Amazon may notice and refuse to repair/replace it.

ecostin
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
You never did open it. ;)

That's the point - there are no labels or stickers in the way, as one can find in other devices, to indicate that it has been tempered with. Of course, using a knife and a hammer are likely to leave marks, but some plastic tools will not. If it's worth trying, it's everyone's choice, I just wanted to make it clear that it is technically possible to solve the problem in 10 minutes and not to wait for a replacement (potentially still defective).

bojzi
09-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Just received my Kindle and it's rattling. :(

The problem is that I live in Croatia and only the customs and taxes were around $70 (that's additional to charges for the Kindle and UPS). I don't want to pay those $70 again if they send me a replacement. :|

Anyone have any experience about European replacements?

Mihaela
09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Bojzi - since it will be a replacement, you shoudn't have to pay those taxes again. Taxes are paid when there's a bill, but that is not your case. I'm not sure about the shipment costs, are they also covered by Amazon?
I live in Europe too (Romania) and I'm under a lot of stress already, expecting the arrival of my WiFi only Kindle. Hope it won't rattle :pray:

bojzi
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Bojzi - since it will be a replacement, you shoudn't have to pay those taxes again. Taxes are paid when there's a bill, but that is not your case. I'm not sure about the shipment costs, are they also covered by Amazon?
I live in Europe too (Romania) and I'm under a lot of stress already, expecting the arrival of my WiFi only Kindle. Hope it won't rattle :pray:

Yeah, I shouldn't but it's pretty complicated here.

The total price I had to pay for the Kindle was:
$139 for the Kindle
$20 for UPS shippinh
$70 for customs and taxes.

These $70 of customs and taxes consist of pure taxes and about $25 of some kind of payment for UPS's partner here in Croatia which is very weird seeing as I'm already paying over $20 for shipping to UPS.

Now, if I were to get a replacement, without taxes I'd still have to pay for UPS shipping ($20), the aforementioned payment for UPS's partner ($25) and shipping for the defective unit ($20 or more). I'm really not keen on dishing out another $60 - $70, even without taxes. :\

And yeah, mine is also a WiFi only and those are the only ones I've read have troubles with rattling.
I mean c'mon, what's the deal with not screwing the screws properly?!

judith009
09-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I took mine apart and screw in the roaming screw. Also, as already noted above, most of the other small black motherboard screws were loose also, so I tightened all of those. Please note that you need an extremely small screwdriver to screw these in - even smaller than the common small ones used for repairing eyeglasses. I didn't find it too easy to take the kindle apart, so if you don't feel like going through stress and trouble, you might consider just getting it replaced. Also, I wouldn't just "live" with a kindle that has a rattling screw, because eventually over time the other screws might become loose, and then who knows what might happen. That's why I suggest either get it replaced, or just open it up and fix it yourself.

fo_france
09-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Oh.
I just got my kindle 3 yesterday (I live in France).
It is rattling... :-( and I'm desperate.
This is my first reader... and I'm in the same shipping/tax situation as others in europe.

Such a shame... I guess I'll try to fix it myself - and I will not be getting or buying anything else from amazon - even if I have to pay more...

judith009
09-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Amazon is basically one of the best companies in the world.

Most electronics are made in China today. If they weren't made using cheap labor, you wouldn't be paying such a low price for the Kindle. With cheaper labor and cheaper materials, sometimes there are mistakes. That's for pretty much every electronics company.

fo_france
09-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Hello judith009,

I know you're right, but amazon also wants to sell as much books as possible - so the kindle's price is not only "labor" related.

The thing is I'm so disappointed - and I deeply regret buying the kindle (even If the screen fascinates me).

Cheap labor does not mean bad quality control - and it seems this screw issue is not an isolated problem. They could have a major manufactoring problem here - and that could destroy all their marketing efforts.
(if it is a metallic part - it could cause a short-circuit which would cause a fire...)

judith009
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
If you have any questions about opening it up yourself and fixing it, you can ask me.

Personally, I love the Kindle.

I also love apple's iPod touch, and it is very common for those too to have manufacturing defects. I guess it's just the way things are today, with everything made in china. C'est la vie :) . But would you rather pay twice as much for a product, knowing that it would be free of defects, I wouldn't.

bojzi
09-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Oh.
I just got my kindle 3 yesterday (I live in France).
It is rattling... :-( and I'm desperate.
This is my first reader... and I'm in the same shipping/tax situation as others in europe.

Such a shame... I guess I'll try to fix it myself - and I will not be getting or buying anything else from amazon - even if I have to pay more...

I'm in almost the same boat as you and have documented my handling of the Kindle here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97966.

The new Kindle should be delivered tomorrow (today I've paid the taxes and customs) and I'm really hoping it ain't rattling.

fo_france
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Twice as much? Probably no as the new price of the kindle did motivate me to get one after all...
But when I really need something (and the kindle does not really fall in that category), I gladly pay the price to get something of irreprochable quality (and Again, the list of "really need"s is very limited).

I love my new kindle too - and I'll try to follow bojzi's advice to replace it. If that doesn't work, I'll see about opening it myself (I'd rather not).

Thanks judith009,
Thanks bojzi.

I'll keep you informed.
Bye.

chrichen
09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I received my 3G kindle last Fri and this morning it started to develop this rattling sound, the screw finally came loose I suppose. Soon after, freeze and self-reboot randomly, probably depends on where the piece roam to.

After reading this forum tonight, I called up Amazon to report the problem. The rep was very polite and offered to have a replacement sent right away, ETA is Thurs. She said I will have 30 days to return the original, and only need to return the main unit, i.e. I'll get to keep the USB cable (1 for power outlet, 1 for transfer :-) She reassured me that the replacement unit is from a different batch that's dedicated for exchange. I will keep my fingers crossed....

btw, thanks for all the postings, have been very helpful...

vega07
09-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Just received my replacement. No rattle.

I hate having to exchange because I ABSOLUTELY HATE having to reorganize my books into collections and wait for the damn thing to index.

Praying that this thing won't rattle.

bojzi
09-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Just received my replacement. No rattle.

I hate having to exchange because I ABSOLUTELY HATE having to reorganize my books into collections and wait for the damn thing to index.

Praying that this thing won't rattle.

Me too! :)
The new one isn't rattling and that's a relief. Now just to receive the lighted cover and hope it doesn't start restarting and acting up. ^^

Richey79
09-15-2010, 05:21 AM
The thing is I'm so disappointed - and I deeply regret buying the kindle (even If the screen fascinates me).

I'm sure the manufacturing problem will be isolated and fixed within the next couple of batches to be sent out from the factory (if it hasn't already been).

These kinds of problems afflict every device - just check in any of the device forums on MR for a 'troubleshooting' thread. If you want to raise your chances of not encountering a problem, it's probably best to wait a few months after a new device is released to give the manufacturers a chance to smooth out any gremlins.

People will percieve Amazon's product as being of lower build quality because it is sold for a cheaper price. This is a misperception.

Not nice to be one of the few who gets one with issues, though. Hope Amazon sort out a new device for you as quickly and painlessly as they have for others.

WigglePig
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Mine doesn't rattle, although I tend not to shake it TBH, but it does squeak at the top edge if squeezed. ;)

fo_france
09-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Hello,

OK. I have to admit it - Amazon have handled the issue in a very professional and polite way.

My replacement Kindle is on the way - and I'm sending the rattling one for return today.

BTW WigglePig, I did not shake the kindle to hear the rattling. I just picket it up and changed the orientation - that's when I heard(and felt) a sound as if a screw was loose inside.
I'm very attentionate to everything I have - especially my electronic devices. I tend to keep things for years. I can assure you, the kindle will have a nice home here :-)

cynrh
09-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi all, my Kindle 3 (WiFi only) developed the same problem. Never dropped it or shook it, just after 3-4 days of bliss I picked it up and heard the loose-piece rattle inside. I saw the Youtube video posted, and as someone with a long history of taking things apart was confident enough to do the same.

A few comments for those who wish to try (watch that video):

1. It takes a while to work the case off, be patient. I used plastic edges (laminated card) as much as I could to avoid scoring the plastic with a knife (or inserting it too deep and shorting something).

2. Do it over a clean, light surface. The loose screw is very small, black, and will probably fall out the very second you get the back case to come off, like mine did.

3. It's not the only screw you need to worry about! I had one screw escapee, but I would say 3-4 other black screws were in various stages of working themselves out. As mentioned, you need a jeweler's screwdriver (often used for eyeglasses too). The tip of a small knife blade might do it. In my opinion, the screwholes are not stripped; they simply did not screw these in all the way. I tightened all the black screws until they felt taut. I advise once you tighten them all, try applying a *light*, low-pressure turn in the other direction to see if it loosens. If it loosens easily then the hole may be stripped and you may be better off just removing the screw entirely. If it requires pressure to turn, you should be good. Mine all tightened well, including the loose screw back into its missing spot. YMMV! All of the screws seemed to be on the motherboard in the lower side of the device away from the battery. All of the larger silver screws were tight on mine.

Opening the case is risky. If you have any doubts then I recommend wait a few weeks for Amazon to get through their 'bad batch' of product, and return it.

judith009
09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Great post. Thanks!

ChaoZ
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Mine just developed a rattle. It doesn't annoy me much, but is there a risk of the loose screw shorting out stuff inside the Kindle?

ChaoZ
09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Never mind, I went and fixed it. Really helps to have a sharp, thin blade, like a Swiss Army knife.

Trickery
10-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Had my 3G Kindle delivered on Sept 8th, and I just started to get a ton of rattling today. Sounds like two seperate screws got loose!

Since today is the 4th, I was only 4 days off from getting a refurb unit from Amazon if I had to do the exchange outside of the 30-day return period. Amazon is overnighting me a new one for tomorrow. I would have thrown a fit if they had to send me a refurb unit, luckly I just made it.

Strongly recommend anyone that gets this problem to get an exchange ASAP. Sounds like if these screws will work themselves out over time and could cause problems!

Bix
10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Bought mine yesterday at Staples. Noticed the rattling a few hours later but decided to wait it out. Got worse and I already had to do a hard reset when it wouldn't wake up, so I called Amazon and the rep quickly offered to overnight a new one. Great customer service so I can't complain too much.

Except maybe if the next one rattles.

JohnsonZA
10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
When I got my Kindle 3G+Wifi a little over a month ago I didn't notice any rattling. But today, I picked it up and it sounded like I was playing the shaker in a band.

I opened my baby up and I found not one, not two, but three loose screws! There was also another unoccupied hole where a phantom fourth screw would have belonged. I think my Kindle was certainly made on a Friday just before closing time.

I put the three screws I found back and tightened them as tight as I could. It certainly sounds like either a design flaw or a some finger trouble at the factory. But, for now my Kindle is as good as new!

Bumblebeee
10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone! I just got my Kindle Wifi and I don't really hear a rattling but when I bring it near to my ear I hear the volume rocker move around a little. Is that the rattling we are talking about here?

judith009
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone! I just got my Kindle Wifi and I don't really hear a rattling but when I bring it near to my ear I hear the volume rocker move around a little. Is that the rattling we are talking about here?

Nope, the volume rocker rattle is normal. The bad kind of rattling sounds like a loose screw is rolling around inside the Kindle, because a loose screw is rolling around inside the Kindle. :)

desertgrandma
10-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to MobileRead, Bumblebeee

Come introduce yourself and join the fun.

Click on the link below....:)

Bumblebeee
10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks, desertgrandma!

judhith : phew! I guess I will be keeping mine then! I am still considering if I really want a 3G model.

desertgrandma
10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
If you want to be connected ANYWHERE you go.......then the 3G model is good. Really......is it something you need?

Otherwise, you can stay connected at home with your WiFi, or any hotspot.

Bumblebeee
10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Thats what I figured. I have a HTC Incredible and I switch on 3G hotspot and connect my kindle to it if I REALLY badly want to download a book instantly.

-Thomas-
11-18-2010, 05:21 AM
I received my new Kindle 3G (B006A0A...) on Monday and noticed the well-known rattling sound after about 3 hours of usage. I called Amazon Monday night on their international support hotline (I live in Germany) and asked for a replacement. After a 10-minute call everything was OK and the replacement unit was on its way. This morning (Thursday), UPS handed me my new fixed Kindle - that was just 2.5 days after my complaint. Well done, Amazon!

Some notes about the potential damage this screw may cause: On my way home from work I carried my Kindle upside-down in my jacket. At home I turned it back on, entered my password (which still worked), and after that the Kindle's screen froze. It didn't respond to key presses, the 7-second power slide and even the 30-second one. Worse than that: The power slide's LED wouldn't work too, which I guess is a sign for a severe problem. I had to attach it to the charger, and after a while I was able to reset the device.

I guess that the screw shortened a circuit related to the battery while I carried my Kindle upside-down. Would that be possible or is the device sensitive to things like carrying it upside down?

derrickburns
11-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I have had many, many crashes. So, I took the back cover off of my Kindle 3 and I found 3 screws just bouncing around, THREE. I could not believe this! I screwed the screws back into their proper places, and so far no crashes.

Amazon has already sent me a replacement in the mail, so I won't have take more time to test the unit to see if it crashes.

shaunh7
11-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I recieved my Kindle 3 Wifi on Saturday and I heard rattling on it on the Monday.Around this time it crashed and I did a full reset and got it to work again.
I saw this forum and decided to ring Amazon and the guy said it was the first time he had heard of this problem and told me just to carry on using it as normal. I explained that I'd read it was a common problem but he still insisted he'd heard nothing about it. So the call ended and then he rang me back two minutes later to ask if I had shaken the Kindle or dropped it.I told him I was careful with my gadgets and would not shake or drop it so he then offered me a new one in exchange.
It just seems bizarre that he said he'd never heard of this problem.

pathfinder_12
12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah mine rattles as well ... crashed once... now all of the sudden of have a black smudge/dot on my screen in the inside... so they are sending me a new one...

Heifzilla
12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
My Kindle started rattling a few minutes ago. I tried to turn it on and saw something blocking the light on the switch, and then the rattle started. It does sound like either a small screw or a small piece of plastic.

I called CS and they are shipping me another Kindle that should arrive tomorrow. I wonder how much in shipping fees they are wasting due to this issue :/ Hopefully the new one won't have the same issue.

ETA: Mu Kindle just went kaput on me. Won't turn on or anything now. Good thing I called and requested a new one. :(

l..k
02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I received my K3 this week and I am very disappointed. The moment I unpacked it I was examining it in every details and I spot that it was clearly bearing opening marks and it was even not closed together! Next, I noticed the rattling sound...

I went stright to google and foud this thread. Nonthless I decided to fix it myself, the plastic case was bearing clear opening marks already so I did not care about being accused of opening it if I want replacement. Inside 2 screws was rolling freely and next 3 was loose.

There I have important question for all of you brave to DIY. Did it happened again over time? Is it only manufacturing problem or the build material of the kindle which causes screws looseing over time. I just wonder whether fastening the screws was enough or rather I should put some varnish on the screw before fastening it.

Well anyway if it happen again to me I will tear it open again and use some varnish to glue it forewer ;)

cynrh
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
There I have important question for all of you brave to DIY. Did it happened again over time? Is it only manufacturing problem or the build material of the kindle which causes screws looseing over time. I just wonder whether fastening the screws was enough or rather I should put some varnish on the screw before fastening it.

Hi, I posted on 9/17 (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1114372&postcount=94) about my DIY. My Kindle is still operating fine and rattle-free since (so 5 months now). At least in the case of my Kindle, the problem was that the screws were not fully tightened to begin with, and needed only to be fully tightened down. After I tightened them, I also made sure to test that they would hold by lightly testing the tension in the other (loosey) direction - thats the classic way to determine if a screw/socket has been ruined and isn't going to hold. These held just fine. At least so far! GL

wyndslash
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I wonder what the chances of getting a dud are

desertblues
02-25-2011, 03:30 PM

I've got three Kindles: two new ones and one replacement (looked it over but looked brand new). I think most of the times it will be alright.:thumbsup:

spellbanisher
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM

They likelihood should be diminishing. The longer a product has been out, the more streamlined and efficient the production methods become. And if you get a defective one you can always use it as a coaster.:rolleyes:

wyndslash
02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
@desert cool thanks
@spell lol thanks! I think I'll let my uncle shake it around a bit so in case it's defective, he can send it back righ away

spellbanisher
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
@desert cool thanks
@spell lol thanks! I think I'll let my uncle shake it around a bit so in case it's defective, he can send it back righ away

Are you sure you wouldn't want a kindle coaster? They're very stylish.:joker:

wyndslash
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
No thanks :p too pricey. We don't even use coasters! I just use scratch paper

spellbanisher
02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I use priceless works of art as coasters. :whistle:

l..k
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I use priceless works of art as coasters. :whistle:

I use CD's, these are hazardous to the earth as garbage but quite good as a mat :cool:

I challange statistics :D ordered another kindle, this time with Free 3G. That would be funny if I get rattling screws again :rolleyes: