View Full Version : Cruz reader

Noah98
08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
The Velocity Cruz reader site was updated today. It is supposed to be shipping on September 8th. Borders also has it available for preorder.

http://www.cruzreader.com/

Looks to be a contender...

AnemicOak
08-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, just got an email from Borders about pre-orders for this and also for the Cruz Tablet, looks interesting. Any word on what version of Android these will ship with?

gastan
08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
From what I've read the Velocity Cruz Reader runs Android 2.0 and is strictly an eReader. The Velocity Cruz Tablet runs Android 2.1 and can be used as a tablet.

MsAstoria
09-01-2010, 05:22 PM
From what I've read the Velocity Cruz Reader runs Android 2.0 and is strictly an eReader. The Velocity Cruz Tablet runs Android 2.1 and can be used as a tablet.

Well, almost. I just ordered the CruzReader directly from Velocity Micro's website and it does most everything their new tablet does. Same size unit, less storage but still has 4 GB micro SD card.
Description: "The world’s first affordable touch screen color ereader. Cruz through books, magazines, and newspapers on this revolutionary device’s crystal clear 7” display. Plays video, music, and browses the web in full color. Backed by Velocity Micro’s expert US-based support."
Has 802.11 b/g wi-fi whereas the tablet has 802.11n. The display is 4:3, the tablet is 16:9. Both play music, etc. so for $199.99, it's worth getting.

soondai
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
the question is if it's just a reskinned Pandigital Novel, which can be had considerably cheaper.

http://www.slatedroid.com/content/cruz-reader-pandigital-one-same-355/

zsmomma
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
the question is if it's just a reskinned Pandigital Novel, which can be had considerably cheaper.

http://www.slatedroid.com/content/cruz-reader-pandigital-one-same-355/

the white Pandigital Novel.

LOTL
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
$179.10 Preorder here at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858274004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=361116&SID=FW93q0ue)
with coupon code EMCYXYP26 and free shipping.

CPhill505
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
How well does a TFT screen do outside?

cutterjohn42
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Not very good at all(i.e. read nearly unreadable) unless you can find enough shade or otherwise contrive some cover... eInk & mono-LCDs are MUCH INFINITELY better if you plan on using outside in sunlight alot...

I ended up w/a PRS-505 18m or so ago, and picked up an Augen Gentouch78 (rooted & market), so now I use the 505 when daylight reading, and the GT after dark... used iReader a bit for some plain old text files, and have been using FBreaderJ for ePub ATM. Also use it in the morning for quick website checks and emails that need immediate responses as I have a well enough shaded area for it to be readable. (Using it as a reader alone is enough for me to have decided to keep it... supposed to be getting the GPLed parts of the source soonish as well... drawback is that ATM there is no opengl es support as the fw maker went cheapo and used only the basic drivers... or couldn't figure out how to make the complete driver stack work...)

Mono-LCDs are really the best allarounders IF they come with a halfway decent backlight... only problem is the loss of contrast when they heat up, e.g. hold a REB-1100 or old Palm just the wrong way and bam you end up with a black screen... found this out accidentally when I left my palm on and sitting in direct sunlight when I came back the screen was practically completely black, but it's pretty easy to find a comfortable angle where it isn't a problem.

Cruz Reader: has the same battery as the Novel & internal storage is a uSD... people @ slatedroid just waiting for internals pictures and/or experimenting w/the fw on a white Novel... (the black Novel is a piece of junk, MUCH less RAM, and not hackable ATM...)

MsAstoria
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
got my ups notice that the Cruz Reader is now shipping. Expected by Sept 20th.

Noah98
09-17-2010, 11:10 PM
got my ups notice that the Cruz Reader is now shipping. Expected by Sept 20th.

I'm very anxious to see how you like it. I had a Pandigital Novel, but felt like the build quality and shoddy firmware was just too much to overcome.

The Cruz reader seems to have a better outer shell, and much better firmware (no hacks needed).

Please post your impressions asap :)

MsAstoria
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm very anxious to see how you like it. I had a Pandigital Novel, but felt like the build quality and shoddy firmware was just too much to overcome.

The Cruz reader seems to have a better outer shell, and much better firmware (no hacks needed).

Please post your impressions asap :)
Be glad to! BTW, the arrival date should have read the 22nd, not the 20th, LOL

zorah
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
yeah-the e-reader specs seem pretty cool. for the $199 reader, it says Android apps can be installed, which is really great. At this point, I'm doing fine with my hacked PDN, and I got it knowing ahead of time that if I truly wanted to use the Android OS, I'd have to hack. So I don't down Pandigital for that-they did not make that part of their specs. But for those less adventurous, I'd guess it's worth the extra 20-30 or so bucks for the Cruz, although with some of the coupon deals, people have gotten their PDN for a lot less. But I'm definitely interested to hear about the Cruz. My PDN is stable and working fine, but all of this techno stuff interests me!

mojohn
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I am new to the forum and a new Cruz Reader owner (came by UPS on 9/17/10).

So far, I don't regret the purchase. The touch screen isn't as accurate or responsive as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Plenty bright, beautiful colors, crisp, clear text.

Only two problems:

Too much crapware, and no way to uninstall it until we have root. Does anyone know if someone is working on root?
I installed barnacle on my rooted Moto Backflip, which now acts as an ad-hoc wifi network. My laptop connects flawlessly, but the Reader can't find the network and doesn't even connect when I attempt manual connection. Any clues?

Thanks, mojohn

Noah98
09-20-2010, 07:58 PM

So far, I don't regret the purchase. The touch screen isn't as accurate or responsive as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Plenty bright, beautiful colors, crisp, clear text.

Only two problems:

Too much crapware, and no way to uninstall it until we have root. Does anyone know if someone is working on root?
I installed barnacle on my rooted Moto Backflip, which now acts as an ad-hoc wifi network. My laptop connects flawlessly, but the Reader can't find the network and doesn't even connect when I attempt manual connection. Any clues?

Thanks, mojohn

Does the Quick Uninstaller app work (the apk file is easy to find online), or is the crapware locked?

mojohn
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Noah98, I'll try to install the apk you suggested. The uninstall process that is native to the Cruz Reader doesn't provide an uninstall option.

mojohn
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Noah98, I attempted to uninstall the crapware using the apk you suggested. Didn't work because the crapware is installed in a location that isn't user-accessible.

Have you seen any information about anyone working on a root exploit for the Cruz Reader?

soondai
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
check over at slatedroid's forums. if they don't have it yet I suspect they will soon

MsAstoria
09-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Cruz Reader arrived yesterday and hubby couldn't get the wi-fi to connect so left it for me to do when I got home today. Fussed with it for a while and it finally connected! Then looked through some of the apps available through CruzMarket. Not impressed. Mostly very cheap unknown brand apps. Hubby tried out the Facebook app, but after a few minutes said he didn't like it. Page too small with tiny print, I agreed. IPad has got nothing to worry about! The unit weighed 17 ounces which isn't bad, but to hold it one handed for any length of time would get tiring.
So bottom line, it's not compatible with my not so computer savvy husband and being returned for a refund. He's declared that he is perfectly happy with the K3.
No Kindle app but is tied to Borders.com store. I am sure they can be added by users who know how to add android apps. It is open for third party apps. Seeing how it's being advertised as a reader, I got the impression that instead it's trying to be a cheap tablet which it succeeds at. Buyer beware, only Android 2.0 so no flash capabilities. on the web browser you get mobile sites like a phone, not the internet sites. Nope, it isn't worth the money in my opinion.

kennyc
09-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the review/info/insight!

cfrizz
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Thank you Ms. Astoria! I now know to wait for a better one!

wodin
09-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Has anyone seen/used/read reviews on the Cruz tablet as opposed to the Cruz reader? Is it worth the extra hundred bucks?

MsAstoria
09-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't think the Cruz Tablet is out yet, mid October

wodin
09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think the Cruz Tablet is out yet, mid October

I know, but I was wondering about any early reviews.

cutterjohn42
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
None that have appeared through slatedroid, and they're still hiding important specs, e.g. which system-on-a-chip that they're using... better be at least a cortex-a8 for $300 given that the Archos 70 has a TI OMAP3630 and will go for c. $275ish.

Ended up returning my Augen Gentouch78 after Augen failed to release source, and had some bad backlight bleed from two corners. Bought a white Pandigital Novel(what the Cruz Reader is cloned from), however to my dismay I ended up with another unit with backlight bleed which kind of makes reading in dimly lit/dark areas annoying. (Never noticed it until using it at night the first night that I had it, and now can even see it during the day since I know where to look.)

Cruz Reader doesn't have hw 3D accel either as some early reports indicated and a slatedroid user reported video playback to be as poor as early PDN fw.

Hybrid Cruz/PDN fw is running on the PDNs now as well.

WiFi: you might've been able to get some help at slatedroid with that as the PDN apparently used to have some WiFi problems... there's a Cruz Reader specific sub-forum in the PDN forum over there now.

wodin
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Bought a white Pandigital Novel(what the Cruz Reader is cloned from), however to my dismay I ended up with another unit with backlight bleed which kind of makes reading in dimly lit/dark areas annoying. (Never noticed it until using it at night the first night that I had it, and now can even see it during the day since I know where to look.)

I understand that duct tape is opaque. ;)

readingaloud
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Just spent two of the least edifying hours I can recall trying to get my shiny new Cruz Reader to do something--anything--useful. No luck. IMHO this is the biggest turkey I've encountered in the eBook world, and I own about 20 different devices. I rate it a must miss.

Journier
10-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I discovered that if you touch the bottom of the screen you will get a control that increases the print size. I visited the Time mag site and enjoyed a very interesting article there with this ability. Also, as far as browsing goes, I purchased a Ciscso Valet, it is a router which I plug into my cable modem, and it allows me to wirelessly use my cruz around the house. However, I attempted to download some free apps at the Cruz Market and was told that I do not have enough memory to do that for some reason. Also, I thought microsoft word came with it. Instead they have a trial download which I have been unable to figure out with two attempts. The regular downloadable word program is $14.00 if I remember rightly.

fishhawk101
10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
So I just got a Cruz ereader. I have an ipad, but wanted a cheaper backlit ereader for when my husband takes it traveling. 2 hours later I finally call customer service when I can't get the wifi to work with it and they say that they haven't had any success yet with people using them with Mac airports and that I need to call Mac customer service since my router has a block on it. Of course apple wants to charge me for the conversation. Can anyone help me with this issue?

mojohn
10-12-2010, 02:00 PM
So I just got a Cruz ereader. I have an ipad, but wanted a cheaper backlit ereader for when my husband takes it traveling. 2 hours later I finally call customer service when I can't get the wifi to work with it and they say that they haven't had any success yet with people using them with Mac airports and that I need to call Mac customer service since my router has a block on it. Of course apple wants to charge me for the conversation. Can anyone help me with this issue?

I don't know if this solution will work for you, but it worked for me. I am able to connect my Cruz Reader to the ad-hoc wifi network created by Barnacle running on my rooted Moto Backflip. If the Mac airport also creates an ad-hoc network, this should work for you. [Instructions posted on 8/10/10 at 12:10 p.m. by oneglory at SlateDroid: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/4505-i-have-infrastructure-adhoc-working-same-time-do-you-want-look-here.html]

I don't believe I'm violating copyright by providing a link, but I guess we'll find out if the moderator removes the link.

mojohn

Rachaelslp
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
No recent posts so I thought I'd check. How is the Cruz reader rated now? Is there a better option for 150?
:thanks:
Rachael

fishhawk101
12-04-2010, 02:05 AM
So, I sold my curz reader on ebay 2 days after buying it (borders won't let you return it). I agree that it is a turkey. Even though I lost $100, best decision ever. The new color nook came out and it is the perfect indoor ereader. The screen is like an ipad, the size is perfect, and it does just enough other stuff (like gmail) that it is a home run. Also, the software for the book library is near perfect.

I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. It is worth every penny.

jhempel24
12-04-2010, 05:58 AM
So, I sold my curz reader on ebay 2 days after buying it (borders won't let you return it). I agree that it is a turkey. Even though I lost $100, best decision ever. The new color nook came out and it is the perfect indoor ereader. The screen is like an ipad, the size is perfect, and it does just enough other stuff (like gmail) that it is a home run. Also, the software for the book library is near perfect.

I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. It is worth every penny.

That's odd, I returned mine the next day. Said that if they didn't give me a platform to be able to fully check it out at the store then why would I buy it? They said okay, we'll give you a 7 day return.

kennyc
12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
I would only hesitate if you read outside alot. ....

As is true of any LCD display on ebook reader, iPad, tablet or phone....

dogmom
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
yeah-the e-reader specs seem pretty cool. for the $199 reader, it says Android apps can be installed, which is really great. At this point, I'm doing fine with my hacked PDN, and I got it knowing ahead of time that if I truly wanted to use the Android OS, I'd have to hack. So I don't down Pandigital for that-they did not make that part of their specs. But for those less adventurous, I'd guess it's worth the extra 20-30 or so bucks for the Cruz, although with some of the coupon deals, people have gotten their PDN for a lot less. But I'm definitely interested to hear about the Cruz. My PDN is stable and working fine, but all of this techno stuff interests me!
Just got my Cruz yesterday. Works pretty well. Really wanted it mostly for ereader and email. wireless works great and email loaded. Added Kindle for Android and was able to read my Amazon books. Only problem now is I have a lot of DRM *.prc files that I can't read in the Kindle app. Trying to find a work around. Really should work especially since for the last several months the mobi formats are listed as 'mobi/kindle' and show up as Kindle content on my PC--but Kindle won't read them. But earlier version of Kindle for PC did--now it won't--just love updates! And Amazon owns Mobi--damn them.

Anybody have a solution? There's also apparently not a mobipocket version for Android.

tadlewis
01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
My WiFi reception hasn't been to great so I opened the back of the Cruz Reader and found that there is a mini-PCI WiFi card readily accessible. Further examination showed that there are two ports for antennas to be attached but only one is being used. I purchased some antennas on Amazon ( Laptop Notebook Wifi Bluetooth WWAN/EVDO/HSDPA Broadband Internal Antenna ), separated them, and attached one to the extra port. I then configured the antenna in a large figure-eight pattern inside the back cover taking care to not come too close to the edges or interfere with any cover attachment ports. Used cellophane tape to hold it down and put the cover back on. My WiFi connection quality nearly tripled.

I put together a tutorial with pictures on how to do this if anyone is interested: http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/index.html

http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci.jpg http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci2.jpg http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci3.jpg

brfried
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I love love love my cruz reader. Works great as a reader. If you root the device, which is pretty easy following these instructions on slatedroid (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14317.0)
You can then get any android app.

I have been very happy with mine especially for around $100 dollars.

plasticarmyman
05-01-2011, 12:55 AM

Only two problems:

Thanks, mojohn

now i know this was posted a while ago...but if you're interested in connecting your Cruz Reader to an Adhoc connection...i actually figured that out myself...seems no one else was concerned about it...
here's a link at SlateDroid to the thread where i list how to do it...

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/17522-tether-your-reader-to-your-adhoc-network/

benham
05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I have had the Cruz Reader for 2 days now. No trouble connecting to wi-fi and it is a great ereader. The problem I have is viewing videos. The sound is fine but there is no picture,

bobc30_2
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi. To get viedos to work on the crez. Just down load this. skyfire-android(1).spk
Hope this helps Bob

benham
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow, that works great, thanks! :) Downloaded and set as the default browser.

SDRebel
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I love love love my cruz reader. Works great as a reader. If you root the device, which is pretty easy following these instructions on slatedroid (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14317.0)
You can then get any android app.

I have been very happy with mine especially for around $100 dollars.

true that, though I paid about $86 for it at woot a couple of weeks ago :D

benham
06-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Me too. Good deal. If you download the Amazon App for Android you might not have to root it.

SDRebel
06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Me too. Good deal. If you download the Amazon App for Android you might not have to root it.

for the amazon app you don't have to root it, you can get it from the cruz market, but to get others like kindle, then you have to root/flash a ROM

SDRebel
06-04-2011, 07:33 PM
My WiFi reception hasn't been to great so I opened the back of the Cruz Reader and found that there is a mini-PCI WiFi card readily accessible. Further examination showed that there are two ports for antennas to be attached but only one is being used. I purchased some antennas on Amazon ( Laptop Notebook Wifi Bluetooth WWAN/EVDO/HSDPA Broadband Internal Antenna ), separated them, and attached one to the extra port. I then configured the antenna in a large figure-eight pattern inside the back cover taking care to not come too close to the edges or interfere with any cover attachment ports. Used cellophane tape to hold it down and put the cover back on. My WiFi connection quality nearly tripled.

I put together a tutorial with pictures on how to do this if anyone is interested: http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/index.html

http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci.jpg http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci2.jpg http://tadlewis.com/CruzReader/wifipci3.jpg

hey, any idea if I need that specific antenna model number? I found several ones at ebay for under $3 or $2 and at some reputable sites from china, also for under $2. They are also TYCO but the number of the goldish label is slightly different...any idea if they are basically the same? they seem to have the same type of connector
thanks in advance