View Full Version : CSS to emulate table, or...?

Hitch
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi:

I posted about my problem over in the Sigil forum, here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94890

explaining that I'm essentially trying to create something that looks like a table but isn't a table (so the epub can also be dropped onto KindleGen for mobis).

If anyone here with CSS expertise could take a look at that post and give me any pointers as to how to resolve this, that would be great--I can't give the client this epub the way it looks now on iPad.

Thanks,

Hitch

Genarch
06-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Sigil is great, but does not do complex code yet. You need to do a quick HTML doc that is your table. You can use NoteTab Light html editor (free). There are many html tutorials on the web. Google search. The easy way is search for "html table generator" use the one at http://www.code-generator.net/html/html-table-generator.cfm -. After you get the table done, import it into your Sigil epub as an existing item where you need it. You can leave it as a separate section or merge it where you want it.

roger64
06-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Hi

I do not know if this can help.

I produced this mini EPUB using writer2xhtml v 1.1.7 to export an odt file within LibreOffice. You can have a look on the table code using Sigil.

Of course you can also make an image out of any table even if you may lose a bit on the quality side.

HarryT
06-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Hitch,

I don't understand the problem, I'm afraid. The Mobi format supports simple tables just fine, so why not use a table?

Hitch
06-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Hell, Harry: I barely remember what I was trying to do...that was, what, August of last year? I use tables now regularly; the support for them has significantly increased in the mobi standard.

Thx,
Hitch

HarryT
06-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Apologies - I didn't notice that this was a "resurrected" old thread.

Toxaris
06-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Sigil is great, but does not do complex code yet.

???? Sigil can handle any code you throw at it, as long as it is correct. However, you need to do it in the CodeView window to code it yourself. But then again, if you would do it in Notepad++ or other text-editor you would have to do it yourself too...

It uses the webkit from the QT framework, so it would have the same issues as for example Calibre in showing.

dwig
06-04-2011, 01:05 PM
... if you would do it in Notepad++ or other text-editor you would have to do it yourself too...

Actually, if you are using a recent version of Notepad++ and the WebEdit plugin (available on from this page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Plugin_Central) you can enter a range of tags with a simple toolbar icon click. It is an easily customizable plugin so you can create your own pet set of tags (e.g. ebook/epub specific tags).

Hitch
06-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Apologies - I didn't notice that this was a "resurrected" old thread.

Harry:

No problem--thanks for the attempted response. ;-) I do actually remember the issue, now; I was trying to force a two-column page of thumbs for a client with an extensive backlist; but with a variety of other data that needed to go in there, we ended up with the ubiquitous single-column usage.

Best,
Hitch